Valued Contributor

Went shopping at the mall for the first time in forever!!

I went to the local mall with my daughter on Saturday.  It is a beautiful mall.  We were looking for a dress for my daughter to wear to a wedding this coming weekend.  We went to a store called "The Limited".  Not a huge store, but really nice clothes, priced just right and lots of great sales.  We had someone take the items we wanted to try on, get a fitting room started for us and got excellent service.  The kind of service you used to get at most stores that is rare indeed in this day and age.  We found a dress for her and a very nice top for me.  Her dress was about $65.00 and my top was less than $30.00.

The next stop was Macy's Department Store.  Huge selection, lots of sales and not a sales person on the floor to be found.  Nobody to start a fitting room for us, no one to take our items to try on to a fitting room. abysmal service, or lack there of.  I couldn't find a person for the life of me to help me with a size and a price I wanted to have before I tried the item on.

So there is it girls, if you want anything resembling service these days, you have to go the little boutique stores.  

Have any of you had similar experiences??

I live near Seattle Wa and the mall was one of the largest around, the Alderwood Mall.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: Went shopping at the mall for the first time in forever!!

For me, I prefer not to be waited on like your experience in "The Limited".  But that's just me.  I prefer to take my time, and not feel pressured into anything, and my experience is that the sales people that are "helping" try to pressure you into buying.  Hopefully your experience wasn't like that.  And I also know from experience that the sales person will tell you that the outfit looks wonderful on you, when in reality, it looks horrible.  But again, this is just my experiences and opinion.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Same here..I don't need someone bringing my clothes to the dressing room, I like to take my time and not feel pressured...I don't want to feel like I'm being "watched"...but if that's the kind of service you like I'm glad you found in the limited storeSmiley Happy)
Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

I also do not like to be stalked while in the store. Dillards is really bad about that. Once I was in there looking for an outfit for cruise and the sales clerk tried to help me pick something out while staking me like I was a shoplifter the entire time. I tried the stuff on and I knew it looked dreadful and she kept going on about how great it looked and how I needed to buy it now because there was only a couple left. I told her I wanted to bring my husband in and try it on for him. I never went back and bought something from Chicos.
Respected Contributor

I agree that sales help at Macy's can be hard to find these days - except at peak hours, and then there can be a line at the checkout.

I still shop at Macy's. I'm not shy about corraling help if I need it. I know my way around the store so well that I seldom need any help.

I suppose it's one of the ways they are able to keep prices low and have good sales. It's a trade off.

I'm in the camp of those who don't want help unless I ask for it.

Valued Contributor

I am both glad and yet sad that we don't have the more attentive service that we used to have in stores, many years ago.  I don't like the feeling of being pressured or stalked, but there should be associates near enough that when you realize you could use some assistance, they are right there on it.  Instead, like your experience in a bigger store such as Dillards, I hear crickets & a store so empty of people, you'd think I just walked onto a set for a sci-fi movie where all lifeforms disappeared suddenly.  I definitely don't like that, especially since we know they know we are there, watching us via survelliance cameras @ every move.  Ok then, you noticed I need service--get your hind ends out here!  Smiley Mad  

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Valued Contributor

Both the Macy's I shop aren't like the Limited, but I never have a problem finding help if I need it. They have tons of great coupons and sales as well, and I very rarely ever leave without a purchase.

Talbots has the service you described. Very nice store. Sometimes I like that attention, at others I just like to take my time and see what I might find. Enjoy you new top! pinky.

Valued Contributor

Wow this is so interesting.  I too hate it when a sale associate pesters you and won't leave you alone.  But in my experience, they were there only when we needed them and absolutely no pressure.  The way it was when I was a kid, and that was in the 60's and early 70's.  

So I totally agree with all of you on the stalking aspect of a sales person.  There is a happy medium and I think that  The Limited has it just right.

Thanks so much for your opinions. 

Respected Contributor

I am with the others. I don't want somebody followng me around...handing me things. They aer looking to make a sale and I don't want fake praise.

I can find my own  things lol.

Also, The Limited is a more youthful store I feel. I like trendy things but they are not for everyone.

They often have coupons also.

Our Macy's has a scanner that you can scan the price tag and your own price out as needed. I can find my way to dot com and order a size if need be lol. I do find it hard sometimes to find a cashier but I can always dig one up someplace.

Respected Contributor

I still shop at Macy's because I like the items and the prices, but it is ALWAYS understaffed and, frankly, a mess. I don't even attempt to look at the clearance racks because everything is all mixed up, or on the floor. Recently, I sent them an email via their website complaining (nicely) about the state of their store and lack of sales people. They sent back a canned response, with no real acknowledgement of the problem. Oh well . . .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York