Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding attire opinion please!

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

In my opinion,in this day and age people worry too much about wedding attire.

Funny. I feel the opposite.  I think there are a lot of people that don't worry enough about their attire and show up dressed like they are going to a local bar or worse, clean the garage. 

@Lipstickdiva   @Group 5 minus 1 

OMG, finally the voice of reason!  I am stunned with how little some people know about how to dress appropriately for even the most basic etiquette for various occasions.

I have seen people attend weddings, funerals and other occasions wearing clothing I wouldn't wear to take out the garbage.  I often wonder how they can be so clueless ... and who raised them?  SMH

Honored Contributor

A friend of ours wore a solid white dress to our wedding, knee length and sleeveless. I'm sure upstaging me was the farthest thing from her mind.  She just dressed up and that's what she had available.  It sort of surprised me when I first saw her but it really didn't matter.  Your outfit, including a boldly printed scarf, will be just fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see why wearing black and white to a wedding is inappropriate. People worry too much whether they will upstage the bride. No one should have to worry if the bride  will be upset about wedding attire. If she is, there is something definitely wrong. A wedding is to celebrate a life together, not to model new clothes. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let me further explain myself. There are many questions on the Forum about "wedding attire". Of course,you should dress nicely.  i would like to see a Forum thread  devoted to weddings.

Very few people today follow any ettiquete rules for dressing at weddings and funerals.

But,should you have to ask if this or that is correct I think you already know.

Or Google or read a book.

Honored Contributor

@Whispergirl   That sounds perfect to me. In fact, it's my "go to" putfit anytime I have to go somewhere that needs to be dressy.

I vary the shoes from closed toe black fabric flats or kitten heels to spring/summer black open toe flats or heeled open toe sandals. 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't see why wearing black and white to a wedding is inappropriate. People worry too much whether they will upstage the bride. No one should have to worry if the bride  will be upset about wedding attire. If she is, there is something definitely wrong. A wedding is to celebrate a life together, not to model new clothes. 

@teganslaw I wore black and white to a wedding last month. You're right, no one cared or was upset. 

Honored Contributor

The only drawback I see is being mistaken for waitstaff.  As long as you are dressy enough, I think you will be fine.

Honored Contributor

If you're wearing black and white together then you are not competing with the bride. This was the original reason why female guests were discouraged from wearing all white to a wedding. 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@teganslaw 

I understand your point, but when anyone is invited to a very special occasion ... and a wedding qualifies as that  ... the guests should have the manners and common sense to dress appropriately for this event ... or just stay home. 

Example ....  If you were invited to a black tie (formal) event, anyone showing up in shorts and flip flops should be shown the door.  They should know better.

Granted my example is a little extreme, but it's just an example.   IMO,  It's really not too much to ask that people follow basic rules of etiquette.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

The only drawback I see is being mistaken for waitstaff.  As long as you are dressy enough, I think you will be fine.

@faeriemoon 

LOL ... thanks for the chuckle.  Woman LOL