Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding attire opinion please!

@Whispergirl wrote:

i have a very dressy, pretty white blouse and dressy black slacks and am wondering if it would be appropriate to wear to a wedding. I guess I’m concerned about the white blouse mostly...I’ve seen black worn to a wedding but white? Opinions would be appreciated.

@Whispergirl It sounds fine to me, although I would find a really pretty scarf or light shawl with lots of color and add that to the neck, or drape over one shoulder etc.  There are lots of creative ways with scarves and I think this would take it up a notch!  

Honored Contributor

Don't worry about.  The bride will probably be wearing ivory.

Valued Contributor

Sooner, what a great idea! I love colored scarves. Your suggestion would break up maybe too much white.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it will be fine.  Although I'm not a scarf wearer, I think Sooner's idea to add one is great for you or those that do wear scarves.

I've never understood the whole not wearing white to a wedding anyway.  I don't think it would detract from the bride.....the bride and groom are the ones being celebrated.  I've told this story before but I went to a wedding and a former co-worker was wearing a pink or mauve EXTREMELY low cut dress.  I'm sure more people would be staring at her than at somebody in a white dress.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain   Our whole law office went to the wedding of an associate attorney that worked there.  30 something, very conservation young man.  His fiancee was a doll.  Catholic ceremony.

One of his attorney friends from another town strolled in the church with his date. She had a long red gown with a slit up her thigh plus it was low cut. No wrap or shawl during the ceremony. 100 jaws hit the floor.

There were 4 hours between the church and the reception so she had time to change at their hotel room.

Honored Contributor

@Whispergirl wrote:

i have a very dressy, pretty white blouse and dressy black slacks and am wondering if it would be appropriate to wear to a wedding. I guess I’m concerned about the white blouse mostly...I’ve seen black worn to a wedding but white? Opinions would be appreciated.

@Whispergirl 

Seems fine, but I am wondering .... when is the wedding?  Are you planning to wear a blazer or anything over it?  What will the temperatures be that week?  Will the reception location be air conditioned?  Do you have any idea as to how "dressy" the wedding will be, since they range from formal to barefoot on a beach?   

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

In my opinion,in this day and age people worry too much about wedding attire.

Funny. I feel the opposite.  I think there are a lot of people that don't worry enough about their attire and show up dressed like they are going to a local bar or worse, clean the garage. 

Valued Contributor

I got married ten years ago and my friend wore odd off-white ancient painter's pants and a white blouse. People commented to me about her attire because she looked so odd. I was shocked frankly that she would dress like this to my wedding. This friend was frankly strange, she expected to sit with the bride and groom during the meal because she didn't know anyone else.

What you describe you will wear does not sound odd. A white blouse and black pants is a classic look. Not sure what type of blouse you have, but you can add the scarf or a jacket or topper thing if you want. 

Honored Contributor

@Whispergirl wrote:

@Whispergirl  My son was married last year ...evening ceremony and black tie reception with a view of the New York skyline..so fairly formal attire. I saw women wearing black silk wide legged pants with a white silk blouse. One had on a red silk cumberband. They looked very nice and festive. Your outfit sounds appropriate for the dressiest occasion to a more casual affair.🌸🌺💐

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is wrong to worry about attire.  

It is a special day for the couple and I would want to honor the couple by dressing for the occasion.

If find it inappropriate to wear jeans and a Tshirt to a wedding, to me it says, this is just another day and event to attend.