Honored Contributor

Any dress length you choose to wear.  You are guest so it's more about the style and fabric of the dress and not about the length.  Having said that, if you think your sister wants you to wear a gown and if you are ok with that; wear a gown or tea length dress.

Valued Contributor

I do not believe an aunt has to wear any wedding colors unless she is officially a member of the wedding party.

When my nephew got married his soon to be mother-in-law asked my husband and I to wear blue for the family photos.   I appreciated that they wanted to include us in this way.  They all live in Hawaii where the wedding took place and it was not at all formal but that was fun too.

Honored Contributor

You are worried about a wedding 13 months away?

Valued Contributor

Why? Oh, Why?

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo   Funny but I was thinking about a pretty shawl for indoors when you are wearing a sleeveless or strapless dress.  The first shawl is so pretty.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@elainemasey wrote:

Hello, my niece is getting married next December- 2021. It's will be a lovely evening wedding at a beautiful, classic hotel, decorated for Christmas. What is the proper dress length for me- the aunt? My sister said gown- but is that appropriate? 
Thank you.

@elainemasey. If we all aren't vaccinated by then, a HazMat suit would be the appropriate attire. 😄

Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

I do not believe an aunt has to wear any wedding colors unless she is officially a member of the wedding party.

When my nephew got married his soon to be mother-in-law asked my husband and I to wear blue for the family photos.   I appreciated that they wanted to include us in this way.  They all live in Hawaii where the wedding took place and it was not at all formal but that was fun too.

@Wobin   But an aunt would not want to wear the colors of the bride or groom's mother, either.  So, the reason for knowing the colors.

Honored Contributor

Why buy a gown or dress that you will never wear again?

Try a pair of dressy pants..velvet perhaps or a velvet skirt in a dark color and add a nice dressy blouse and some glitzy jewerly.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Why buy a gown or dress that you will never wear again?

Try a pair of dressy pants..velvet perhaps or a velvet skirt in a dark color and add a nice dressy blouse and some glitzy jewerly.

I agree with this!  I love dressy separates...so much more versatile and wearable.  

I love dressy black pants.  In addition to velvet, flowy chiffon pants can look like a long skirt but are so much more comfortable than a typical gown.

Respected Contributor

@elainemasey   If the printed invitation lists formal attire that would indicate a gown for you.  If the printed invitation indicates business attire you have much more leeway.

Since it is an evening event and it sounds like it lends itself to being more formal I would think a gown would be appropriate.

Since your sister is the mother of the bride and said a gown I think she would know what is wanted.

There are some beautiful evening wear pants ensembles for women if you would feel more comfortable but would still fit in the "formal wear" category for evening clothes.

I bought a beautiful one at Macy's at a steep discount for just this type of occasion.

aroc3435

Washington, DC