Frequent Contributor

Hello, my niece is getting married next December- 2021. It's will be a lovely evening wedding at a beautiful, classic hotel, decorated for Christmas. What is the proper dress length for me- the aunt? My sister said gown- but is that appropriate? 
Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@elainemasey wrote:

Hello, my niece is getting married next December- 2021. It's will be a lovely evening wedding at a beautiful, classic hotel, decorated for Christmas. What is the proper dress length for me- the aunt? My sister said gown- but is that appropriate? 
Thank you.

@elainemasey 

Normally, after 5 p.m., in this setting, evening attire is worn which would include a long dress.

Super Contributor

Evening wedding during holidays at a swanky hotel difinitely sounds like a formal long gown.  I agree with your sister.  Although, what we used to call tea length would probably work also.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Wedding Guest Dress?

[ Edited ]

@elainemasey  I think a gown may be appropriate too, but I would go with something with a long skirt vs. a sequined gown.  Maybe a long black skirt with a pretty white blouse and nice cardigan?  You can always dress it up or down depending on jewelry, scarf, belt, etc.

You can always look online at the venue to see if they have any pictures of Christmas time weddings and see how formal the place looks.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Any length of dress or skirt would be fine as long as the outfit is sufficiently dressy. Even "black tie" does not necessarily mean "long evening gown." I think it is much more modern to NOT wear long gowns at formal events.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2

Really? I can't think of a single cardigan that I've ever seen that would be appropriate as formal wedding attire

I would envision something like this for warmth indoors

15F38ED0-4947-4D6A-B728-93E4CE9050DD.jpegA9369AEF-504C-4364-80A7-A87EC6BE9DDD.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Wow...it sounds beautiful...I've never been to a "Christmas' wedding; if it were me, I'd wear something in black velvet, a long skirt, or sleeveless dress with a bolero jacket, all in  velvet...geez it sounds so nice, I want to go!!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Wait for the invitation. It might state the dress the couple suggests. A very formal wedding might warrant a gown, if you are not comfortable a gown any really very dressy dress will be acceptable.I love a really formal wedding, so classy.

Honored Contributor

Whatever your sister suggests would be a good idea.

As someone else said, a tea-length gown would be nice.

Has your sister suggested any particular colors for you to wear?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yes, late night events usually call for a longer length gown.  A wedding is a bit more of a traditional event, so I would not go too short, even if younger girls like to do that for a modern touch.

The embroidered skirts that Linea by Louis Dell'Olio sells are very dressy and yes, they would look great with his lurex whisper knit top.   They are longer than tea length but not quite gown length.  You would be both stylish and warm.

I do not believe an aunt has to wear any wedding colors unless she is officially a member of the wedding party.

Sometimes wearing too much black at a wedding looks a little somber, so make sure to add some bright touches!