Esteemed Contributor

I don't follow fashion rules.  I go by what matches, or what looks good, or what fits, the weather, or what the reason is that I wear it in the first place.

I make the rules for me.

Regular Contributor

Growing up in Central Texas you only wore white after Easter. First day of September suede shoes. To this day its hard for me not to remember this rule. In fact I was shopping and saw some cute sandles and thought its after Easter I can wear those shoes.....Crazy rules stay with you along time....You would be stared at and thought of as being stupid if caught with white anything before Easter....Blouses or sweaters  were o.k. Men had their rules too felt hats in winter .Straw for summer....glad those rules  have lessen but still followed by some.....

Respected Contributor

I could never figure out who makes up these stupid rules!  What, the "fashion police" will arrest you if you heaven forbid wear white in the winter??  You are your own person, wear what you want when you want, who cares??  If you are happy, that is all that matters, life is short to listen to all the "they say" ridiculous rules.

Respected Contributor

Men have not worn felt hats for over  50 years!   JFK disliked hats, he never wore hats and that is why went out of fashion

Honored Contributor

I am about as "southern" as you can get, LOL! and I wear white when I change over to my spring clothes.  "Winter" shoes just look too heavy with light spring styles and colors, IMO.

Valued Contributor

The rule for wearing white only between Memorial Day and Labor Day went the same way as matching shoes and handbags -- out the window!

Honored Contributor

I've never followed that Memorial Day - Labor Day rule about white and I've never cared if anyone else did, either. I suppose you might want to follow that rule if you ever have tea with the Queen, but otherwise I don't think it matters. 

Neither does Vogue: http://www.vogue.com/13331448/white-outfits-after-labor-day-fall-trends/

Trusted Contributor

I wear white pants all year long!  I wear winter white in the fall and winter and white white in the spring and summer!

That being said, I think the type of climate you live in might matter to some!  I also agree that there are no rules any longer!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I've lived all over, but primarily in the South, and honestly never heard any rule about Memorial Day. For us it was white only after Easter.  But these days does it really matter?  I do have white corduroy slacks I wear in the winter and see no issue with that.

Frequent Contributor

I think people should wear what they want to wear. Life is too short. Who made up the idea no white after labor day anyway? That is just weird.