Honored Contributor

I love some vintage styles. Old Hollywood, Mad Men styles (love!), even flapper. Obviously flapper is for a suitable party, but what are some wearable translations of vintage styles? 

Yesterday I was looking for a black short sleeve tie neck blouse online ( no luck) and came across this look on a vintage site. Unique Vintage it's called, maybe? Not sure.

There was something about it that I liked. I love red and blue together so that's partially it. I have no vintage stores near me, I think they would be so fun to browse. I've wanted a Mad Men style dress since the show.

The pants are wide leg sailor pants. 1940's look

1940s_Cream_Navy_Short_Sleeve_Red_Neck_Tie_Blouse_5.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I like it.

I've always liked a bow at the neck.

I watched an old Mad Men the other day and Peggy had on a dress, up to the neck, with a bow at the neck....made me nostalgic.

@Greeneyedlady21

Honored Contributor

@software If I had a Joan body I'd wear a Joan dress. Guess they called them wiggle dresses? I think I'd like a combo of Peggy, Joan, and Betty. And Don Draper to go with it 😊

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@software If I had a Joan body I'd wear a Joan dress. Guess they called them wiggle dresses? I think I'd like a combo of Peggy, Joan, and Betty. And Don Draper to go with it 😊

Betty was stunning, more the Grace Kelly style.

I don't know what in the world I'd do if I had Joan's curves!!

I'm more like a Peggy!

Honored Contributor

I would wear the outfit you posted in a Heartbeat!  I love vintage though I don't have the best waist for it!  I have a few pieces but if I came across this I wouldn't hesitate. 

I love the 1940s era and so wish my mom and aunts had kept my grandmother's clothes. (I know, easy for me to Say!)

Honored Contributor

There is a store in New Orleans on Royal that sells only vintage style clothes, new, but vintage style.  I always visit when I'm there.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I like the fit and flare dresses one can find in stores and online now.  They fit the pear-shaped figure well, since the bodice is fitted and the skirt is fuller.  I find this style so feminine.  Reminds me of the 50's. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've always liked the high waist, side buttons style in pants, too.  There's a website (and stores?) called Mod Cloth (if I correctly recall) that features newly made 'vintage' styles. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY Yes Mod Cloth is a good one. Amazon has some retro styles too.

Unique Vintage has some cute and pretty things. 

Vintage style maxi

Vintage_Style_Black_Floral_Flutter_Sleeve_Chiffon_Maxi_Dress__1.jpg

I've seen current shoes like this online. Everything old is always new again, at some point.

Vintage_Style_Black_Leatherette_Round_Toe_T-Strap_Heels_1.jpg

Honored Contributor

Nice, very nice.  I have friend at work who only wears vintage inspired clothing.  That's her style.  It has been for years.  She doesn't buy actual vintage because she likes modern fabrics and actual vintage pieces are fragile.  She shops primarily online and she always said that hunting for pieces was as much fun as wearing them.  I love seeing women who have their own sense of style.