Honored Contributor

Re: We aren't our Mother's fashion wearers?

On 8/7/2014 busygirl said:

I am 59 soon and I remember seeing older women and wondering when I was going to start dressing like that. Never happened and I love clothes. I think there are so many things to choose from and what you wear with something or how you wear it makes a big difference.

I have seen some younger ones that don't know how to dress and some older ladies too.

I am in my early 50s, and I still love clothes too. IMO I tend to dress up and look more pulled together than most people. That's my style, and I learned that from my mother and aunt. Even though Mom stayed home and didn't work, she still looked nice every day. For church and special events she dressed up which meant no pants. My single aunt also lived with us, and she wore skirts, dresses, or suits to work every day. When their health started to decline at about age 80, they opted for more knit pants and tops, and they still looked neat and pulled together.
Trusted Contributor

My mother was a very attractive woman, loved to dress well, and wore fitted, tailored clothing. In the day, this included hats and gloves for church and daytime outings. She was also an accomplished seamstress and spent many hours choosing fabrics and notions and cutting, sewing, and fitting beautiful clothing for herself and her daughters.

Nowadays, many of us are happy that our clothing is more relaxed and easy-care. I appreciate pieces that go through the washer and dryer and straight to a hanger with no ironing or dry cleaning. I don't like baggy, shapeless clothing, but I prefer easy cuts and clothing that moves and "gives" as I stretch and move. I find old-style, very tailored clothing restrictive and uncomfortable. Knits and fabric blends with even a little stretch in them can have a lovely hand and appearance and are so much more comfortable than rigid, stiff fabrics. My mom looked great in her clothes, but I'm glad we have the comfortable, more relaxed, easy-care options available today.

Super Contributor

Back in the early 1960s my mother made me an adorable

purple and white polka-dot dress of pique with a white

collar and the same white fabric on the turned back short sleeves..

It was so cute!!

Honored Contributor

I think every generation has their own thing but there are always some that "buck the system" and just do their own thing. An example of this would be that girl who works for the "Pickers". I think her name is Danielle. It wouldn't be my style but I actually get a kick out of her.....not afraid to be different. Besides, just exactly what is the style today???? My mother always looked nice when she was younger, but yes, she is into polyester now and has been for the last 20 or 30 yrs. What you call old fashioned she would call easy care, no ironing, and comfortable. AT 85 that meets her needs. I guess what I am saying is .....dress to please yourself and you will live more freely and that adds up to being less repressed in my opinion.

Oh, and by the way, I edited this to say...... I am in my mid sixties and just for the record...I am not young..... BUT.....I am not old either {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

My Mom forgot to get old even at 85.

She was and is a stylish dresser,she still has her great figure.Dyes her hair,no gray for her.She mows 1 acre of lawn,does all her own weeding has a veggie garden,cans food.

She is an all out holiday decorater inside and out.Maintains an immaculate home.

It is crazy..I am way older than she is!!!

Regular Contributor

On 8/9/2014 spud188 said:

My Mom forgot to get old even at 85.

She was and is a stylish dresser,she still has her great figure.Dyes her hair,no gray for her.She mows 1 acre of lawn,does all her own weeding has a veggie garden,cans food.

She is an all out holiday decorater inside and out.Maintains an immaculate home.

It is crazy..I am way older than she is!!!

We ought to get our Moms together! Mine did finally let the youngest grandson start mowing the law but she takes care of all the flower beds, is always planning the next upgrade to the house and goes to Aerobics at the Y three times a week...she's been going since 1968. I hear ya...I'm older than she will ever be!
Honored Contributor

My ma wore horizontal stripes on top to emphasize her bosom, and vertical stripes on her pants to make her look taller.......... I chose not to follow her fashion rules.

♥Surface of the Sun♥