Respected Contributor

Re: We aren't our Mother's fashion wearers?

On 8/6/2014 VCamp2748 said:

I'm 66 & we lost my mom 6 years ago at the age of 77. About one day a year she allowed herself to be "melancholy" & slumped around home in her bathrobe all day. Every other day of the year, for as far back as I can remember, she put on make-up, styled her hair, & dressed nicely (with the exception of times she was hospitalized). Once, in the mid-60s, one of my sisters had a friend over to the house on a Sat a.m. Upon seeing my mother dressed in a lovely caftan, vacuuming, the friend commented that she'd never seen such a sight.

When mom passed, she had an optometrist appointment on her calendar which I cancelled, explaining why. A few days later, I received a lovely letter from the optometrist's assistant, expressing her condolences & adding that she always looked forward to mom coming in for her appointments because she wore hats, beautiful jewelry, & stylish clothes.

I can only hope to live up to that.

What a lovely post! Thank you for taking the time to share VCamp! My Mom was EXACTLY the same. She always looked GREAT and scolded me once about looking "matronly". That's my Mom. She is my example to try and live up to.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 azterry! said:
On 8/7/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I would never condemn a generation of women who for the most part were a lot more elegant than the generation of over 60 women I have seen. No matter where you go...even the finest of dining spots one sees women dressed so casually, they could be going to the beach.

We could all take a lesson from the women of the 50's who knew how to dress respectfully of others. As far as the Q's clothing there are many clothes that are just unflattering to anyone no matter what their age. A person just has to pick and choose carefully.

i really can't agree with you that we should take a lesson in dressing from the women of the 50's. They wore unnatural looking bras and girdles that were torture devices. They weren't respectful of others. They were repressed!

I like seeing women under and over 60 in colorful capris, comfortable knits, flowy skirts and dresses and cute sandals. I like seeing non cookie-cutter hairstyles and fun manicures. I like statement jewelry and strong women claiming their rightful place in this world.

Baby, we've earned it!

It would be interesting to know how old you are. If you were a child of the 50's, then I have to disagree with the opinion you have expressed. If you weren't around then, maybe you have made a statement regarding something you really know nothing about.

I was a child and teenager of the 50's into the early 60's, and my mother was the most respectful person I've ever known. So were the mothers of all my friends and other people that I knew. The ones I knew didn't dress or look like the Hollywood movie stereotypes that you describe here. They were sweet, caring, smart, respectful of others, and if they were "repressed", they had the courtesy not to show it in public...unlike a lot of younger and pushing middle age women today, who haven't learned how to be respectful or courteous in many situations. There are plenty of women on these boards (and I'm sure they are ALL ages) who wouldn't know the meaning of respect for others if it slapped them in the face.

I learned to be a "strong woman" from my mother and other so-called "repressed" women of the 50's. Strong women of my age have paved the way for the younger generations to "claim their rightful place in this world".

JMHO

Regular Contributor

My mother never owned a pair of slacks or wore anything but a skirt. and to be honest, I only remember her owning one or possibly two actual skirts in her life -- part of a suit she made herself -- no two piece outfits -- a dress all the time -- house dress indoors -- more fancy outside -- usually with short sleeves and possibly a sweater in cold weather inside. For more formal occasions she had a dress with a jacket of the same material.

She also however always wore pumps with heels and hose with tops she rolled over a round garter -- like an fancy elastic -- she never had problems with her legs. She wore these until she died at 83.

I on the other hand never really got the hang of high heels -- wore them when I was younger -- now think anything over an inch is much too high -- however will never wear tie shoes -- possibly sneakers -- but think tie shoes are really dowdy.

P>S> my mother would have been 110 this year.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure the responses are more than entertaining; I'll read in a minute.

But yes, Cookie06, I absolutely do know what you are saying! Smiley Happy

Which is why I hardly ever get clothing items from QVC. I think I got like 5 pieces in a lot of years of knowing about QVC. Oh, I tried several more, but always had to send them back.

My DM was a bit of a clotheshorse, something I'm not, but I detest matronly fashions, matronly stitching/necklines/hemlines/fabrics...if matronly is your style, then QVC is a treasure trove! And you all know what I mean by matronly!

(cringe....polyester pants!)

Super Contributor

On 8/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

I would never condemn a generation of women who for the most part were a lot more elegant than the generation of over 60 women I have seen. No matter where you go...even the finest of dining spots one sees women dressed so casually, they could be going to the beach.

We could all take a lesson from the women of the 50's who knew how to dress respectfully of others. As far as the Q's clothing there are many clothes that are just unflattering to anyone no matter what their age. A person just has to pick and choose carefully.

i really can't agree with you that we should take a lesson in dressing from the women of the 50's. They wore unnatural looking bras and girdles that were torture devices. They weren't respectful of others. They were repressed!

I like seeing women under and over 60 in colorful capris, comfortable knits, flowy skirts and dresses and cute sandals. I like seeing non cookie-cutter hairstyles and fun manicures. I like statement jewelry and strong women claiming their rightful place in this world.

Baby, we've earned it!

It would be interesting to know how old you are. If you were a child of the 50's, then I have to disagree with the opinion you have expressed. If you weren't around then, maybe you have made a statement regarding something you really know nothing about.

I was a child and teenager of the 50's into the early 60's, and my mother was the most respectful person I've ever known. So were the mothers of all my friends and other people that I knew. The ones I knew didn't dress or look like the Hollywood movie stereotypes that you describe here. They were sweet, caring, smart, respectful of others, and if they were "repressed", they had the courtesy not to show it in public...unlike a lot of younger and pushing middle age women today, who haven't learned how to be respectful or courteous in many situations. There are plenty of women on these boards (and I'm sure they are ALL ages) who wouldn't know the meaning of respect for others if it slapped them in the face.

I learned to be a "strong woman" from my mother and other so-called "repressed" women of the 50's. Strong women of my age have paved the way for the younger generations to "claim their rightful place in this world".

JMHO

I was not a child of the 50's, but of the 60's. I observed the contortions my mom went through to get dressed up. She came of age in the late 40's early 50's. They DID wear heavy-duty pointy bras and girdles.

I did not mean to imply women then were not respectful to others. I just disagree their manner of dress was "respectful of others". They were just as driven by the fashions of their day as women now are.

We will just disagree regarding the lack of respect thing of today's women with you. I think it is a vast over-generalization. Women may seem less polite, but I think that is thinking fueled by the "men are assertive, women are aggressive" fable.

I do not yearn for the way things were in the 50's. I like moving forward and if there are bumps along the way, that's just part of the process.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/7/2014 kittymomNC said:

Baby, we've earned it!

JMHO

I was not a child of the 50's, but of the 60's. I observed the contortions my mom went through to get dressed up. She came of age in the late 40's early 50's. They DID wear heavy-duty pointy bras and girdles.

I did not mean to imply women then were not respectful to others. I just disagree their manner of dress was "respectful of others". They were just as driven by the fashions of their day as women now are.

We will just disagree regarding the lack of respect thing of today's women with you. I think it is a vast over-generalization. Women may seem less polite, but I think that is thinking fueled by the "men are assertive, women are aggressive" fable.

I do not yearn for the way things were in the 50's. I like moving forward and if there are bumps along the way, that's just part of the process.

I was only responding to what your post said - "women of the 50's", not the 60's. Things started changing drastically as we all know in the early 60's. And your comment "THEY weren't respectful of others" came across as all women, not some. And your second post is basically doing the same thing -- saying THEY rather than some. I realize it's a matter of semantics, but it does come across as a generalization of all women. I was stating what I observed and lived during the 1950's, and the women that I knew didn't dress the way you are describing. Maybe some did, but the majority didn't. I cannot remember more than one or two occasions where any of the women that I came in contact with had "pointy bras", although I know they were available and "some" women did choose to dress that way, just as "some" women today dress in ways that are considered provocative.

As far as respect in today's world, especially when I was still working but even now, I come in contact with a lot of younger women (not all) who have an attitude of "the world owes me because I'm a woman" and show disdain and lack of respect for older women who, as I said, helped pave the way and fought hard so that the new generations could have more opportunity than they did. And I'm no prude where clothes are concerned, but showing more of their bodies and parts of their bodies than most people want to see tells me that they have little respect for others. I said "a lot", not all, in my post so I don't think it was a "vast over-generalization".

And as far as lack of respect on these boards, that is a true statement. Again, I said "plenty of women", not ALL women, wouldn't know the meaning of respect if their behavior here is any indication.

I respect your opinion...I'm just giving my own opinion based on personal experience and observation.

Super Contributor

Yes, I agree. I just threw out most of my capris when I realized only older ladies wear these and they put me in the the old lady category. Yes, I am 65, but not offended at the term old lady.,,some act and dress like a grandma. I take great care not to. It is funny that at a certain age, one states they no longer care and dress any way they want. These people don't look good, I bet, but since they don't care, I guess all is good. I follow the fashion trends, and I think one looks younger and more attractive in styles and colors that are current. I believe older women dress for comfort and a aging body, with a little " giving up" tossed in. Maybe not women on this board, but the older women I see in public. I cared about clothes and styles in the 60's, my mother did, and I still do. What is hard to understand is what happened? What happened to female dressing? Can we be strong women and still look like a beautiful woman? I do buy some clothes from QVC, not many. Miss the edgier brands like Motto. I buy classic styles and use color and accessories to dress it up. Also like very stylish shoes. All of this JMHO.
Super Contributor

My mother always dressed stylish and kept up with the fashions of her day. When she was young in the 50s she had a poodle skirt and a red crinoline I used play dress-up with. All her heels and handbags matched. Hat boxes with hats.

During the Kennedy years, she styled herself after JBK, they had similar figures. Chanel inspired suits. Cute mini-dresses and hair bandannas. Later in the 70s she wore the Jackie O slim pants and Quiana (nylon) shirts. In the 1980s she was 50ish and she wore tight Guess jeans (with the ankle zip) in several denim colors. Wedge sandals. Always trim, always tasteful.

Along the way she has stopped caring. My father passed away and he was her rock. She has 15 pair of beige elastic waist pants and shorts and stretched out t-shirts. She has beautiful jewelry, pretty jackets and cute knit sweaters and at least 50 pairs of shoes - she never wears any of them.

Valued Contributor

I am 59 soon and I remember seeing older women and wondering when I was going to start dressing like that. Never happened and I love clothes. I think there are so many things to choose from and what you wear with something or how you wear it makes a big difference.

I have seen some younger ones that don't know how to dress and some older ladies too.

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 moonchilde said: "They" (presuming you mean QVC) offer what sells. They do not overtly, by statement or promo, market to an age, so I'm not sure why your age has anything to do with your complaint. QVC doesn't have "The 60-Plus Hour" or "Denim & Co for the Medicare Ladies" shows. Whatever people think of the clothes offered, they are not offered to be age-specific. Anyone of any age is free to buy them, or NOT buy them. You can wish that more clothes that suit your personal definition of stylish, "not matronly", etc. will be offered, but there is no guarantee that will happen, since what they are selling now is making them $$.
Well said, and I agree.