Honored Contributor

Re: We aren't our Mother's fashion wearers?

On 8/6/2014 okiebug said:
On 8/6/2014 Cookie06 said:

I am 60 years old, sounds really old, doesn't it. Well I still wear stylish clothes like jeans and t-shirts for casual, yoga pants and tops, cute sun dresses. I am not the same as my Mother. My Mom wore polyester pants with matching tops, socks with her old lady shoes and never put on a pair of jeans. And her Mother had blue hair, house coats with aprons over them and always, but always wore a girdle and hose. What I am trying to say is, why do they bring us styles that we would never in a million years wear? I am not saying every single one of us, but really, this is 2014 and when you turn 60 doesn't suddenly make you want to dress like an old lady. Do you get what I am saying???

Cookie, if your mind set at 60 is that you're old, you're going to be old, no matter what you wear. You need to think about what you're REALLY saying. it has nothing to do with whatever styles you are talking about, but the fact that you consider someone who is 60 to be an "old lady", including yourself.

I am 60 and I am old. I have no illusions I'll live to 120. It doesn't bother me, and I don't dress very differently than I always have. I appreciate that I'm blessed to be 60 and that I can still do things I love and travel and my health is good. To deny I am old might be to miss out on a lot of the blessings left to me.

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 happy housewife said:

I am 65 - i wear what pleases ME first - DH second and no one else matters. I am proud to say I do not allow the fashion industry to dictate to me how I will dress. Are women really so gullible they can't see that it is only to separate the consumer from their money that these fashions change so much all the time?

Gullible? REALLY? No, lots of women enjoy buying new clothes and looking good. Nothing wrong with that. It that makes others happy, why not be happy for them too? That frown might freeze on your face sometime! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Honored Contributor

I have finally, truly, sincerely reached an age where I don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of my clothing choices. I don't like to look sloppy, I never have. I need to look presentable and show respect to my employer and my students. Other than that, anyone who doesn't like my sensible clothes can kiss my d&co clad butt. I refuse to be like my 89 year old mom who is still worried what everyone else thinks.

Age is an attitude and so is youth. I've seen decrepit old ladies in the most up to date clothes - clothes can't hide a sour attitude. Stay smiling, stay kind, stay curious and you'll look lovely.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Cookie06 said:

I am 60 years old, sounds really old, doesn't it. Well I still wear stylish clothes like jeans and t-shirts for casual, yoga pants and tops, cute sun dresses. I am not the same as my Mother. My Mom wore polyester pants with matching tops, socks with her old lady shoes and never put on a pair of jeans. And her Mother had blue hair, house coats with aprons over them and always, but always wore a girdle and hose. What I am trying to say is, why do they bring us styles that we would never in a million years wear? I am not saying every single one of us, but really, this is 2014 and when you turn 60 doesn't suddenly make you want to dress like an old lady. Do you get what I am saying???

I'm 60 also and I could have written what you just posted! I'm delighted that styles have changed so we, that are getting older, still have the option of looking and dressing styish.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I'm one (56 yrs old) who will wear jeans forever, but they aren't the trendy low cut belly-showing style. Nor are they the dreaded 'Mom Jeans"! My tees are plain for the most part or have my son's college name on them, no cute sayings or pictures. They are fitted as opposed to boxy. I love the feminine flowy tops, skirts and dresses, but know not to go overboard with certain patterns and flourishes meant for twenty year olds. Simple silhouettes and patterns work best for me.

I think middle aged and up women can get away with any younger style if the fit is appropriate for their body type and a little tweaking is used. Shorter skirts and dresses can be nice but with colored leg wear for example. However, I would draw the line with short shorts and micro minis! No tweaking would help with those! LOL!

Respected Contributor

I would never condemn a generation of women who for the most part were a lot more elegant than the generation of over 60 women I have seen. No matter where you go...even the finest of dining spots one sees women dressed so casually, they could be going to the beach.

We could all take a lesson from the women of the 50's who knew how to dress respectfully of others. As far as the Q's clothing there are many clothes that are just unflattering to anyone no matter what their age. A person just has to pick and choose carefully.

Valued Contributor

On 8/6/2014 lolakimono said:

My grandmas definitely had shoes like these, from Spring Step.

Spring Step EvelynSpring Step Emily

They are no longer with us. My mom is at the age now that they were when they wore those type of shoes, and it would be a cold day you know where before she would ever wear shoes like the ones they did.

OMG these are the exact shoes my dear old Mom would wear. I am sure they are comfortable, but it stops there???

Super Contributor

On 8/7/2014 SoftRaindrops said:

I would never condemn a generation of women who for the most part were a lot more elegant than the generation of over 60 women I have seen. No matter where you go...even the finest of dining spots one sees women dressed so casually, they could be going to the beach.

We could all take a lesson from the women of the 50's who knew how to dress respectfully of others. As far as the Q's clothing there are many clothes that are just unflattering to anyone no matter what their age. A person just has to pick and choose carefully.

i really can't agree with you that we should take a lesson in dressing from the women of the 50's. They wore unnatural looking bras and girdles that were torture devices. They weren't respectful of others. They were repressed!

I like seeing women under and over 60 in colorful capris, comfortable knits, flowy skirts and dresses and cute sandals. I like seeing non cookie-cutter hairstyles and fun manicures. I like statement jewelry and strong women claiming their rightful place in this world.

Baby, we've earned it!

Super Contributor

Perhaps it's a regional thing. I live in NYC ... nobody around here dresses beachy.

I spent some time down in Jupiter, FL, not long ago. In the nicer restaurants - everyone was dressed apppropriately. At church - casual dress compared to NYC ... but not too casual that it was inappropriate for church.

Respected Contributor

On 8/7/2014 azterry! said:

i really can't agree with you that we should take a lesson in dressing from the women of the 50's. They wore unnatural looking bras and girdles that were torture devices. They weren't respectful of others. They were repressed!

I like seeing women under and over 60 in colorful capris, comfortable knits, flowy skirts and dresses and cute sandals. I like seeing non cookie-cutter hairstyles and fun manicures. I like statement jewelry and strong women claiming their rightful place in this world.

Baby, we've earned it!

My post was in reference to the OP's statements about "old lady" dressing. Yes, some women do wear pretty clothing but for the most part we have become a very casual society where women often wear inappropriate clothing for the occasion summing it up as being free to wear anything and everything because we earned it.

There were plenty of women of my mom's generation who wore beautiful clothing where looking at them was a pleasure. The sloppy, unkempt look of what I often see women claiming they have earned the right to look like ,falls short for me and is just an excuse. I guess what I saw in my local mall this past week, made me realize how few women care anything about how they dress. Sloppiness will always look bad to me no matter the age or whether we earned the right to look that way.