Super Contributor

Re: We aren't our Mother's fashion wearers?

On 8/6/2014 Cookie06 said:

I am 60 years old, sounds really old, doesn't it. Well I still wear stylish clothes like jeans and t-shirts for casual, yoga pants and tops, cute sun dresses. I am not the same as my Mother. My Mom wore polyester pants with matching tops, socks with her old lady shoes and never put on a pair of jeans. And her Mother had blue hair, house coats with aprons over them and always, but always wore a girdle and hose. What I am trying to say is, why do they bring us styles that we would never in a million years wear? I am not saying every single one of us, but really, this is 2014 and when you turn 60 doesn't suddenly make you want to dress like an old lady. Do you get what I am saying???

Cookie, if your mind set at 60 is that you're old, you're going to be old, no matter what you wear. You need to think about what you're REALLY saying. it has nothing to do with whatever styles you are talking about, but the fact that you consider someone who is 60 to be an "old lady", including yourself.

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 sidsmom said:

Who do you dress for? Could never understand why ladies are concerned with the opinions of total strangers.

Life should be made up of friends/family & a love....friends/family like my personality & my love likes me without clothes(!), so what I'm wearing doesn't matter in the Big Picture. Wish more people thought like that!

I care way more what strangers think I look like than friends/family who love me whatever and know me despite how I might look at the moment! I want to look like the person I work hard to be when I go out. So yes, I dress for people I meet and do care about what I reflect by how I dress.

However, my mother is 90 and a fashionista superb! She would go out nekked rather than wear something not fashionable! LOL!!! I've never been like that.

Regular Contributor

Speaking for myself, if someone tells me I dress like my Mother (who is the mother of 8 by the way) I take it as a compliment. She has always dressed well and looked great. At 84, she's still stylin. What we really need is to get rid of the negative connotation society puts on the term old lady. I don't think QVC has anything to apologize for but media...wow...anytime they need a character to be out of touch and the butt of the joke, they use an older woman. Ticks me off.
Valued Contributor

I guess we all feel differently about style. I don't feel old at all, I don't think I said that I did. And yes, I shop at many different stores and where ever has the items I like, I shop there. Maybe I was a little bit overboard on complaining about QVC's clothes because yes, if you pick and choose you can find nice things. I think more of the Lisa Rinna style is nice and I wish QVC had more designers like her line. That's all I am saying.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just thinking this morning about my age, and wondering how I got here...so quickly, it seems! And I'm one of those older women who will go down fighting...I refuse to dress like a matronly old woman. Age is matter of how you think, more so than a number.

We've had dozens of threads and posts here about how ALL the Q's clothes are matronly, and only "old women" would buy them, which I and others have found to be somewhat insulting. This is a generalization and not directed at the OP--her post is very toned down compared to some of the ones I'm talking about, and I understand where she's coming from about style.

But if you look at all the styles that are offered on QVC, and some of them are for casual lifestyles, some more for work or dressy, etc., you can really find a lot of things which you can use to come up with a very stylish look. Not frumpy, not matronly, certainly not "old". All you have to do is pick and choose appropriately and learn how to put things together - none of us have to dress like the proverbial "old woman" -- even though we may be one!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 kittymomNC said:

I was just thinking this morning about my age, and wondering how I got here...so quickly, it seems! And I'm one of those older women who will go down fighting...I refuse to dress like a matronly old woman. Age is matter of how you think, more so than a number.

We've had dozens of threads and posts here about how ALL the Q's clothes are matronly, and only "old women" would buy them, which I and others have found to be somewhat insulting. This is a generalization and not directed at the OP--her post is very toned down compared to some of the ones I'm talking about, and I understand where she's coming from about style.

But if you look at all the styles that are offered on QVC, and some of them are for casual lifestyles, some more for work or dressy, etc., you can really find a lot of things which you can use to come up with a very stylish look. Not frumpy, not matronly, certainly not "old". All you have to do is pick and choose appropriately and learn how to put things together - none of us have to dress like the proverbial "old woman" -- even though we may be one!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Well, I'm 80 today, and even though my heart doesn't think so, my head knows it's true. But as for dressing "old", I don't think I do. Right now I am in shorts, a tee and white mesh Keds. In other words, I'm in my comfort zone. I never saw my Grandmother or Mother in shorts. Mom worked, so she had a business type wardrobe - suits, skirts, blouses. Never pants. Grandmother wore dresses that were appropriate to here - button front, v neck, down to mid calf, usually with a matching narrow belt and lace up shoes with a sensible one inch (broad) heel.

I'm retired now and casual totally defines my wardrobe. For dress up, nothing higher than a 2 inch heel, always panty hose, with dresses just slightly above - or slightly below - the knee. But I also wear a lot of slacks with things like Bob Mackie's tops, etc. It's not my Mother's wardrobe.

Super Contributor

I think another poster said a phrase well--"comfort zone." Also, old or young, we tend to dress for our lifestyle. There is absolutely no need for me to put on work clothes or dress clothes during the week anymore. The other day, my 17-year-old granddaughter told me I looked nice. I had on a D and C top that is cute.

Someone made a suggestion last week that I thought was great. Collect pictures from magazines or catalogs of the look you wish to carry off. Then find those clothes. There are such varied lines at the Q, you can probably find your look. If not, there are stores that will carry what you want. And the other shopping channel has some pretty edgy clothing and jeans that might appeal.

Respected Contributor

My mother is 79 and my grandmothers would be 107 in they were alive- NONE of these women ever wore polyester, housecoats, and frumpy clothes. My mother's mom always looked like a million bucks (:

I do know what you are saying though. Sixty is young...Look at Kathy Lee, Kirstie Alley, etc., I don't know why people keep complaining, just shop elsewhere! QVC clothing is outdated and not well made for the most part.

Valued Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Perkup said:
On 8/6/2014 kittymomNC said:

Well, I'm 80 today, and even though my heart doesn't think so, my head knows it's true. But as for dressing "old", I don't think I do. Right now I am in shorts, a tee and white mesh Keds. In other words, I'm in my comfort zone. I never saw my Grandmother or Mother in shorts. Mom worked, so she had a business type wardrobe - suits, skirts, blouses. Never pants. Grandmother wore dresses that were appropriate to here - button front, v neck, down to mid calf, usually with a matching narrow belt and lace up shoes with a sensible one inch (broad) heel.

I'm retired now and casual totally defines my wardrobe. For dress up, nothing higher than a 2 inch heel, always panty hose, with dresses just slightly above - or slightly below - the knee. But I also wear a lot of slacks with things like Bob Mackie's tops, etc. It's not my Mother's wardrobe.

Happy 80th Birthday! My mom just celebrated her 80th birthday last week. She just went on a cruise the week before, and I went in and was checking out her new cruise-wear. Well, I LOVED everything she bought! I'm 35 yrs younger than her! She has a nice shape and wears white jeans with nice/dressy denim jackets.

Her mother never dressed like that-ever! I'm glad my mom has cool taste in clothes. She did not care for my Dream jeannes I wore in May. She told me they were sweatpants! Angel Smedley might try and convince you they look like jeans---nope, they don't. I could tell she didn't care for them. Can you imagine? My 80 yr old mom...
she has cooler taste then me. Btw, I haven't worn those pants since! Always listen to mom-she knows best!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

I do get it, especially when it comes to fashion and media. I didn't just fall off the cliff into oblivion when I got older even though you would think so if you look at fashion magazines.

Fashion magazines take note: just who do you think buy the actual print magazines on the news stands or buy magazine subscriptions? It's not younger people...they don't buy print anything, it's all digital but if you think that they are buying ipad or Next subscriptions to magazines, think again!

How about fashion magazines that want to put baby boomer women in the same category as their moms? Uh, no! I don't wear what my mom wears.