Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watch Your Shipping Charges

What I wonder about is the return shipping.  While QVC may doc me $6.95, I sometimes return more than one thing.  I returned 4 things in the same bag recently, and got credit for all of it.  My question is, does the post office charge QVC the same for every package, or are they weighed and charged accordingly?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I tried googling for an article where QVC states "shipping is a money maker" for them and I couldn't find anything even remotely close to that.

I tried the same search above for the Forums & Blogs and didn't find a real article quoting them as stating that either.  Just a lot of complaints about shipping.

If they really did state that in a public comment, I sure would like to read that article as well.

Honored Contributor

@santorini

What's with the snark? It took no leap, only a basic grasp of economics, to get from 'money maker' to charging above their actual fees.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I tried googling for an article where QVC states "shipping is a money maker" for them and I couldn't find anything even remotely close to that.

I tried the same search above for the Forums & Blogs and didn't find a real article quoting them as stating that either.  Just a lot of complaints about shipping.

If they really did state that in a public comment, I sure would like to read that article as well.

@RespectLife

How on earth did we miss that class action suit!?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt

Hi spurt!  Do you have easy access to the article(s) that IIRC you posted where it stated that Q's S&H was a profitable area for them?   If you read down thread, some people are questioning it.  TIA.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

What I wonder about is the return shipping.  While QVC may doc me $6.95, I sometimes return more than one thing.  I returned 4 things in the same bag recently, and got credit for all of it.  My question is, does the post office charge QVC the same for every package, or are they weighed and charged accordingly?

I recently returned 4 articles of clothing to the Q in one package with their return label. The postal clerk did not weigh the package, just scanned the label. I believe the Q gets a deal on postage because of the volume they do and does make money on returns. If you are not savvy enough to ask customer service if you can bundle multiple items for return then you end up paying 6.95 or more, depending on the item  per item.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Spurt

Hi spurt!  Do you have easy access to the article(s) that IIRC you posted where it stated that Q's S&H was a profitable area for them?   If you read down thread, some people are questioning it.  TIA.

@MacDUFF

I cant find the article it was an interview with one of QVC's executives discussing the financial results..

I did find these interesting points........

From transcript of teleconference 2 quarter 2017...the following was noted...

We also tested customer-free shipping programs, which contributed to gross margin degradation in the quarter. 

Gross margin is the difference between revenue and cost of goods sold, or COGS, divided by revenue, expressed as a percentage. Generally, it is calculated as the selling price of an item, less the cost of goods sold (production or acquisition costs, essentially). Gross Margin is often used interchangeably with Gross Profit, but the terms are different.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-qvca-earnings-conference-050642943.html

I did find this that QVC charges the vendors to store the vendor's merchandise in the QVC warehouse....

We continue to expand our third-party fulfillment services program. This is a program which vendors pay us to store their inventory in our warehouses for our events or other retail channels they sell through without bringing inventory onto our balance sheet. By expanding the number of units readily available in our warehouses, we've been able to increase the volume of events that feature products that can ship in 1 to 2 days. In the last few weeks, we've launched programs to increase visibility of these products to our customers, which should lead to driving incremental set of conversions and ultimately increase sales with broader [fast-ship] inventory. We will continue to improve and expand our offerings here.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited-transcript-qvca-earnings-conference-235559117.html

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@santorini

Please point me to the article where they admit that they don't use the posted shipping charges to pay for shipping.

No I'm not being facetious; I really want to read it

Did my note say that?  I said that shipping is a money-maker for them.  Google is your friend.  I don't have time to search the web for you.  When articles are posted here, I read them.  Maybe you could search this forum first to make it easier.

@santorini- With all due respect, what you said was this:

"You must not have read the numerous articles about the Q where they SAY that shipping is a money-maker for them."

You said that the Q said that shipping was a money-make for them in numerous articles, so I think it's a fair question to ask you for the source.

@I'd also like to read at least one of these articles but, so far, like @Andreatoo , I've been unable to find any.  It's really not asking you to "search the web" for anyone else, since you must already have access to the articles.  I'd be very interested in any article where a representative of the Q said that.

Respected Contributor

Goodness, Venezia.  I don't keep files of things I read on here.  When someone posts an article, I read it and remember it.  There have been discussions about how shipping is a profit source for them.  It's not like this is a major new revelation.  If I had been the original poster of the articles, I would probably remember where they originated, but since I wasn't and only read them, I don't have links available.

One poster asked for sources where QVC states that they overcharge and keep the profits (something to that effect).  That made me laugh.  Do you think they would actually STATE those exact words in an article?  I think they leave it up to smart readers to put 2 and 2 together.  We know how much postage costs, we know about how much of a discount major shippers get, and we see on their public budget sheets that their shipping costs are profits.  I don't see the big issue here.  Maybe the next time someone posts an article about their budget, it will include shipping profits for all of you to see.

New Contributor

I guess I haven't been paying atention.  I recently returned an item that was on four easy pay and shipping of $3.00.  I decided to return the item.  It didn't fit or look very good.  I got charged $3.00 for the original shipping and $6.95 for return shipping and handling.  The grand total of my refund was $.81(eighty one cents)!!  I agree shipping and handling dose cost something but this is crazy.  If you go to a clothing store.  I didn't 

think they would be able to charge you $3.00 to use the fitting room to try something on and then charge you $6.95 to leave the fitting room!!   There has to be a happy medium..