Honored Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

Tim is a prime example of an old fuddy duddy who lives in the past and takes his do nothing job much too seriously.  He's made a fortune for doing something that really doesn't mean anything to anyone anymore.  The world of fashion and style has moved on and he has not moved on with it.  So, he's blathering about the same old stuff, year after year and it get's sillier as time goes on. 

Honored Contributor

@nikkimom. Cropped pants/capris not my pants of choice. At 5'1", they make me look shorter. & squatty..to Mr. Gunn's point, the proportion of knee to ankle is messed up when pants cut off. Besides, wearing ankle pants in summer is not any more stifling. 3"-5" of leg showing won't make me feel any more or less overheated. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I'll be wearing them regardless of what Tim says.  

On the old ****** Van ****** show didn't Mary Tyler Moore wear cropped pants sometimes or capris she looked fabulous in them.  She wore them with flats.

Trusted Contributor

{ain't no mom jeans} great article "crops, capris, pedal pushers (& the scary stuff in-between)":

Honored Contributor

The saddest thing is that grown women are being browbeaten into not being seen in some really comfy, practical, nice looking clothing because someone MIGHT think they don't look 6 feet tall or thin.  We are letting ourselves be bodyshamed over something like how long your pants are. 

If you are short, you are short, wide you are wide.  It isn't a sin. Doesn't make you not a nice person, not a beautiful person, or not a person that others are delighted to be around.  YOU more than make up for your pant length!  And honestly, I'd bet MOST of the people you see out and about don't think one thing about what length your crop/capri pants are.  

I would never notice something like that about someone I see out.

Trusted Contributor

I love cropped pants and will continue to wear them!!    I think any woman can wear them if she chooses!! It is all about finding the correct cut for your body!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I bought a pair of "cropped" pants yesterday.  I'm 5'8" and they come almost to my ankles.  I just think there's not much consistency in what different manufacturers label as cropped.  

Respected Contributor

It just depends.  I have long slim legs.  My legs have always been my best feature.  Certain crop pants look fine on me.  Others maybe not.  I hate flared crops for example.  A closer fit is my friend.  I'm not talking tight, I'm talking properly fitted.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Tim Gunn but not his opinion on crop pants. I make my own crop jeans and capri jeans by taking long jeans and cutting them off. It's a good way to recycle bootcut jeans that fit but that I don't wear anymore. I have also cut the bottom of skinny jeans to make long capri jeans too. 

In summer long jeans are too hot for me, especially after menopause. Tim doesn't have that problem, I assume!

QVC Customer Care