Valued Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

Say it ain't so, Tim!!!!!!  I am guilty, too.  Can't wear shorts and roast in long pants.  Need cropped pants and sandals!!!!!!!

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tim Gunn's opinion is just that -- an opinion.  And we all know what they say about opinions relating to a certain part of the body.  I don't think his is worth any more than anyone else's. He is a blowhard and, as far as I'm concerned, persona non grata. lol

Fashion that looks good on a body is a very individual thing. If you know your body, and if you have a good eye for fit and proportion, you will know what looks good on you and what doesn't. I look good in all types of pants. I do not look good in dresses.

Since when are cropped pants "loose and fall straight from the waist at the widest part of the hip, unlike capris, which are snug and slightly tapered."  ?  I must have been terribly misinformed all this time. I thought the length was the difference and you still wore the silhouette that flattered you. Stupid me.

I don't think Gunn's opinion is worth the paper it's written on, especially given the way he looks and dresses... and I have absolutely no confidence in anyone who uses the word "Balderdash!" in this day and age.

Here's a good ol' Bronx raspberry, Gunn...

Image result for cat with tongue sticking out images

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, he DID take time out of his daily Kardashian bashing

(very 'low-hanging fruit' topic) to run his employer to the ground.  

Again, B. B. B. B.'g

I Googled, 'Project Runway' & this was a recent Tim Gunn opinion:

Here's how he feels about the main PR judges, Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, and Zac Posen:
"I am sick of our regular season judges and their attempts to outwit each other and come up with a remark they think is adorable and cute but which is, in fact, piercing and mean-spirited. I don't like it. I find it to be very unprofessional and offensive."

---------

It makes me kinda sad to hear him continually complaining.

When Project Runway premiered, I l.o.v.e.d. Tim Gunn & his honesty!

Maybe it's just a tired 'bit'...either way, it doesn't paint him in a positive light.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you, gardensla, and with Tim on the subject. of cropped pants.  

I like the distinction he makes between the cropped pant and capris.  I love capris, but would never wear the cropped pant.  I think the crop is only good for vacuuming and gadening.    

Gunn has a good eye for line and proportion.

Of course, anyone can wear whatever they like.  

Honored Contributor

His article is thoughtful and intelligent, and he is 100% correct. His opinion carries a little more weight than the average person.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I agree with Tim that most women get the fit and proportion wrong with cropped pants.  Then again, most women get the fit and proportion wrong with regular pants.

I'm tall and plus size.  Tim's right that pants that hit me in the fullest part of my calf make me short (I'm nearly 6 feet tall, nothing should make me look short) and wider (well, I'm a fat girl so...). 

I didn't think his message was "OMG, for the love of humanity no cropped pants".  I thought the message was "be aware of the fit and proportions no matter the length of your pants".

Honored Contributor

just another reason not to read what he writes or listen to what he says.

he is just ANOTHER PERSON with ANOTHER PERSONAL OPINION.

i love capris, crops, and pedal pushers and they wont be leaving my wardrobe......and i will look GREAT wearing them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate cropped pants.  I think most are absolutely awful and like Mr Gunn, I've never seen a single person look good in them.  The length is all over the board, I mean leg. There isn't one person who really knows what the length of cropped pants should be. I guess the word 'cropped' then can mean any length between ankle and knee.  What ever or where ever they land is not a good look for any body.

I love ankle pants or just about 2 inches above.  Sport these with a cool flat or a great ankle strap shoe and I AM IN!

Esteemed Contributor

What is this guy talking about, that we're divided into thirds!

He's a nut!