Esteemed Contributor

Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

Yes, I know they're comfortable. So are pajamas. I've yet to see anyone who looks really good in them and Tim Gunn explains (as one who teaches how to make clothes) why. 

Here's the piece from Washington Post:

My view of what’s in your closet is accepting and democratic: I don’t care what you wear, provided that you accept responsibility for wearing it. But there are some items for which nobody should shoulder responsibility, including leggings-as-pants (how? why?) and the dreaded dropped-crotch trouser (horrors). Still, my No. 1 offender is the cropped pant. It’s fashion’s Bronx cheer.

Because the only fit issue is in the waist (rather than the length, too), I see these monstrosities more and more. Universally unflattering, they are neither here nor there; they’re too long to be shorts and too short to be capris, with which they are often confused. They are loose and fall straight from the waist at the widest part of the hip, unlike capris, which are snug and slightly tapered. The male version is misleadingly referred to as “manpris.” Balderdash!

The key to getting fashion right is the harmony and balance of silhouette (your true shape), proportion (think of yourself as divided into thirds from shoulder to ankle) and fit (neither voluminous nor tight), in concert with color and pattern. In terms of proportion, your thirds are the following: shoulder to waist, waist to knee, knee to ankle. Your apparel should conform to those demarcations. Proper shorts will fall to just above the knee. Proper pants will extend roughly to the ankle.

The cropped pant wreaks havoc with proportion. Because the hem falls between the knee and the ankle, usually at the widest part of the calf, the cropped pant succeeds in making you look shorter. I don’t know anyone, female or male, who strives for that goal.

Worn thoughtfully and strategically, clothes create a positive optical illusion, suggesting that you are longer and leaner than you actually are. Worn carelessly, clothes — particularly cropped pants — can do the opposite.

Tim Gunn is a design educator, author and co-host of “Project Runway.”

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

I love cropped pants and wear them often.  They also look good on all ladies.  

Honored Contributor

I think Gunn is right and wrong.  There are just times - and tops - that look so much better if I'm wearing longer pants, but whether he or any other designer agrees with me, I almost always look better wearing ankle pants than longer trouserts and some outfits also look better on me with the right crops than do any other bottoms.

MIrrors are our best friends -  if I care what I'm wearing and I don't when I'm here alone (more than 95% of my current life -  I check a full-length mirror and always check the back with a hand-held.

BTW - a few months back Gunn was featured in an article in my Sunday paper -  I did not particularly like what he chose to wear for the fashion shot. Fashion for the most part is opinion, not fact although if it were my livelihood, I'd pretend iy's all fact.  That's how the gurus in any field roll. 

Respected Contributor

Well, there is "Fashion" with a capital F, and then there is what average people wear according to comfort and convience and liveability and cost.  Sometimes they meet, and sometimes they don't.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I'll be wearing them regardless of what Tim says.  

Honored Contributor

Why is it every, single time we hear from Tim Gunn,

he's always complaining?  B. B. B. B. B'g. 

And most of his complaints are v.e.r.y. "low-hanging fruit" topics.  

I mean...cropped pants? Duh.

Honored Contributor

What looks bad is Mr. Gunn's bodyshaming and objectifying women.  Shame on him.  That's about as ugly as it gets.

I hope it keeps his cheers and opinions in the Bronx because they wouldn't be really popular where I live.

Esteemed Contributor

While I don't wear cropped pants, I do think Tim Gunn needs to find a new topic to beat into the ground.  

Honored Contributor

It's all in personal opinion, but I have always disliked crop pants and won't wear them. To each their own.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I am w/ Tim for me. They just make me look stumpy( I am 5'6" so not short at all ) and wider than I  am.  I see many women that look good in them ...not me .