Honored Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

VanSleepy wrote:

That chart above is not too clear either - in the Names and Terms there are 7 terms listed; in the picture of the pant leg, there are 8; and there are 9 pictures of women.  See, no one knows what's what lol

Hi, @VanSleepy!   After reading this thread last night, I looked at a few articles online.   I agree, there's a huge variety in opinions about "which is called what"  -- no one seems to know what's what!🙃

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Although I find his taste a bit rigid and conservative, I don't take it personally if he hates something I like or own. I find his hyperbolic writing style entertaining. I know fashion is not a life or death issue, but it's something he's passionate about because of his career, so he's going to express extreme opinions. It's kind of his shtick at this point.

I think his opinion carries more weight with some because of his credentials. He's the chair at some fashion design school.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Although I find his taste a bit rigid and conservative, I don't take it personally if he hates something I like or own. I find his hyperbolic writing style entertaining. I know fashion is not a life or death issue, but it's something he's passionate about because of his career, so he's going to express extreme opinions. It's kind of his shtick at this point.

I think his opinion carries more weight with some because of his credentials. He's the chair at some fashion design school.

This. 

Honored Contributor

Isn't Tim Gunn the guy who had some not very nice things to say about Isaac? 

I love me some Isaac so those are fightin words!  Woman SurprisedWoman LOL 

Honored Contributor

Back in the 1960s, my sister and I fought to be the first to read the new TEEN magazine.  Annette wrote a column about life in Hollywood.  Frequently she mentioned her capri pants and ballerina flats.  When pictures were posted, she was talking about what we refer to as ankle pants.  Pedal pushers were more like present day capris and clam diggers were similar in length to crop (or cropped) pants.

Trusted Contributor

I forgot about clam diggers! Not a clue how long those would be, but maybe someone can fill me in. In grade school we called any short pants "flood waters". 

It's too bad Tim also thinks Birkenstocks are ugly. Heidi Klum had a pair of Gizeh, their thong version. I liked those, but didn't buy them. They have more feminine styles, but some just think of the popular thick two strap style.

Honored Contributor

I love Tim, I read one of his books and he did have a very difficult past. I believe he considered suicide. 

As for how he talks about clothes that's just his manner of speaking, for dramatic effect. Fashion is a passion for him, but he's hardly mean spirited in terms of what actually matters in life. I know I don't look good in capris (I think capris are shorter) because they cut me off at the worst spot. I'm tall and think I look better in a longer crop. But I wear my old capris anyway, Tim is not around so it's ok. I feel more comfortable wearing them in public than I do in shorts.

My favorite tidbits from his book included his opinions about Anna Wintour. He also talked about IM, I better just skip that lol.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I thought he only hated the baggy cropped pants?

Honored Contributor

And then there's the Leg of Mutton:

Sleeves.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I love Tim Gunn.  I wish I knew him.  He is just one of those special people that I feel has made a difference in all the artists lives through the Runway shows.