Honored Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

[ Edited ]

I have a dear friend who's an ad exec in NYC, and she's worked with Tim Gunn and also knows him socially.    She's an astute judge of character, doesn't "suffer fools gladly," and is one of those people whose opinion I always can trust.    She's told me that he's a lovely guy, someone with a good heart who has struggled to overcome a heartbreakingly difficult past (one that he didn't open up about until he realized how much he could help others and possibly save lives), a knowledgeable and talented artist with an excellent eye for design -- including fashion.   His comments about the entertainment or fashion industry are no better or worse than the perspectives many of us have and often express here on the forums (or in our real life).    His opinion piece was just that...  an opinion piece, and like other human beings he might over time have changed his views after more contemplation.   Opinions aren't facts, and we (myself included) might forget that sometimes.    I don't understand why he's being personally eviscerated because of one opinion of a garment.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Who cares what Tim Gunn has to say?  I never thought he dressed that well anyway.  Look in the mirror, Tim, before you throw stones at cropped pants.  I like them the best over peddle pushers and capris.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Contributor

To my mind, cropped pants and ankle pants are the same thing and I like them. When he states that the pants hit the fattest part of the calf, that brings capris to mind, not cropped pants. I don't like most of the QVC capris as they are 19" long and do hit me in an awkward spot.  I order capris that are at least 21" long. Of course, shorter women will look good in the shorter capris, but for my height, 21" works. Am I wrong and cropped pants and capris are the same thing?

Valued Contributor

His coment helps me understand why I don't like cropped pants.  ( I do like gauchos and boots) They just look like they don't fit.  Yes, there is a difference between cropped and capris, but the point is the same.    

Valued Contributor

Qvc's capris are listed as 19 inches in most, but sounds like 60's capris were longer? 

I didn't see any attackers on Tim Gunn, were they deleted?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I hate cropped pants.  I think most are absolutely awful and like Mr Gunn, I've never seen a single person look good in them.  The length is all over the board, I mean leg. There isn't one person who really knows what the length of cropped pants should be. I guess the word 'cropped' then can mean any length between ankle and knee.  What ever or where ever they land is not a good look for any body.

I love ankle pants or just about 2 inches above.  Sport these with a cool flat or a great ankle strap shoe and I AM IN!

Ummmmmm - I think anything above the ankle is a crop pant,  above ankle to just about mid calf. Also, like the idear of the flat with it but not so much the ankle strap, it cuts off your leg and makes your ankle and legs look heavy, just my O of course.

Honored Contributor

Pants.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Evidently he could not think of anything else to write about.  I love crops and I dont give a rats butt what he thinks.  I dont know who he is anyway!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I have a dear friend who's an ad exec in NYC, and she's worked with Tim Gunn and also knows him socially.    She's an astute judge of character, doesn't "suffer fools gladly," and is one of those people whose opinion I always can trust.    She's told me that he's a lovely guy, someone with a good heart who has struggled to overcome a heartbreakingly difficult past (one that he didn't open up about until he realized how much he could help others and possibly save lives), a knowledgeable and talented artist with an excellent eye for design -- including fashion.   His comments about the entertainment or fashion industry are no better or worse than the perspectives many of us have and often express here on the forums (or in our real life).    His opinion piece was just that...  an opinion piece, and like other human beings he might over time have changed his views after more contemplation.   Opinions aren't facts, and we (myself included) might forget that sometimes.    I don't understand why he's being personally eviscerated because of one opinion of a garment.

"Because the only fit issue is in the waist (rather than the length, too), I see these monstrosities more and more. Universally unflattering, they are neither here nor there..."

Yes, that's his opinion altho as I pointed out earlier - on many people - say Jaq Dell'Olio - or anyone else with her legs, they are clearly NOT "universally unflattering." 

As to "evicerating" - his comments seem more along that line than anything that's been said about him in this thread.  If you are counting the comments concerning his own fashion choices, well - again to quote you - they are just folks' opinions.  No need to get so upset.  We all have opinions, right?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

Hi @dooBdoo :-), The fact that your friend knows him well and the fact that he has a "heartbreakingly difficult past" (I have too.. as have so many people) doesn't change my perception of his opinions as arrogant and holier-than-thou. Sure, it's only an opinion piece.... but we all have our opinions.... and react to other people's opinions. I don't appreciate that he thinks he knows what flatters me most, because he doesn't. The difference for me is that he uses his public platform to influence women and seems to speak as if his opinions are gospel. I generally dislike the fashion industry's m.o. to dictate to women what they should wear ... and he is just one more cog in that wheel.