Honored Contributor

Re: Washington Post: Tim Gunn on Cropped Pants

Most people I see except for the very young do not look good in cropped pants, capri pants or leggings so I would have to agree with him.  

Trusted Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Tim was pretty clear about what a crop is.

If others want to dicker with his def, they certainly can.

"They are loose and fall straight from the waist at the widest part of the hip, unlike capris, which are snug and slightly tapered."

Really, Kitty? I don't even know what this means. Sounds more like palazzos to me. Anyhow, all these stores can't be wrong in their definition of cropped pants. I'm with them. Gunn is not The Authority on fashion AFAIC. :-)

I agree. From the D&co shows, it sounds like Gary knows more than Tim & I'm usually not praising Gary.

Trusted Contributor

I never heard of Tim Gunn?   Why do I care?

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

Most people I see except for the very young do not look good in cropped pants, capri pants or leggings so I would have to agree with him.  

So you don't think Jaq Dell'Olio looks good in leggings or crop/capri pants????

Seriously?

Respected Contributor

I don't wear crops or capris because I don't like them. Never have and never will. Whether Tim Gunn or the Man in the Moon approve or disapprove makes no difference to me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.franticbutfabulous.com/the-nearly-definitive-guide-to-cropped-pants/

Found this with Tim & sounds like he used the term cropped for anything from ankle pants on up. There was a segment that said some are flattering, but someone already mentioned he back tracked on what he's said before. I'm going to wear what I want. If anyone thinks I look bad then there eyes can roam elsewhere, I'd prefer that anyway.

Honored Contributor

Tim hates leggings, too.  I wear leggings "as pants" because I like them and look good in them.

And I still like Tim.

Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

Sorry Tim, but I'll be wearing capris and pedal pushers until I croak! 

Esteemed Contributor

Cropped pants are a no go for me.  I used to wear them when I was slimmer.  That was also when I didn't know how bad they really looked on someone as short as me.  Here I was wearing higher heels to "elevate my style" and didn't know I was doing myself an injustice with cropped pants.  

Cropped pants look better on taller women.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

StraytoStay wrote:

That's kind of funny because I just ordered two pair today! I think Tim is confused with capris that stop at the calf muscle. I thought cropped pants were just above the ankle. The ones I bought were 21inches for petite (and 23 regular not my length) by D&c.

@StraytoStay, Capri length hits right above the ankle. For the best example of all time, check out any episode of the 1960s comedy hit, The ****** Van ****** Show.  The pants frequently worn by the late Mary Tyler Moore were classic capris... slim from waist-to- hem, with that hemline resting right above the ankle.  Anything at the calf is cropped, and if it's tight/slim higher than the calf it's a pedal pusher.