Trusted Contributor

Washing dark jeans in vinegar

Dg2 Dark Indigo jeans with pink and white embroidery have to be washed before first wearing to ensure that excess dye won't transfer to anything jeans come in contact  with. 

But, won't soaking/washing transfer dye to embroidery in the process?  Will vinegar safeguard against this happening?

Honored Contributor

Re: Washing dark jeans in vinegar

I recommend gentle cycle, cold water, turn garment inside out and use Woolite for Darks, expensive but worth it, and use a very small amount of it.

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pre-soak them inside out with one cup vinegar and one tablespoon of salt in the washer with cold water. This will "set" the dye and help keep it  from fading.  The addition of salt is most important to make it work.

@ILTH

Trusted Contributor

You might want to pick up some Shout Color Catcher Sheets in a box at the grocery store in the laundry section.  I have used these many times and they have saved numerous pieces of clothing from dye transfer.  When you take it out of the wash you can see the die on the paper sheet.  Use a sheet each time you wash that new item…until the sheets come our as white as when they went in.  One missed item that transfers dye can be expensive.  It is worth investing in a box of Shout Color Catcher Sheets.  Keep them on hand…you’ll be glad you did.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee

@Havarti

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I like the Shout Color Catchers too, even if you wash the item alone, if it comes out black you will know it is losing some the color, if it comes out clean you know nothing was transferring .

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

You can purchase a Woolite type product at the Dollar Tree for a dollar!!! I use it all the time and have never had a problem.