Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Your Winter Coats

For ethical reasons I don't own wool or down coats and almost all my coats are machine washable.  I have a beautiful faux fur (no real for me!) INC International Concepts coat that is machine wash.  I have another faux fur that is dry clean only.  Only because I'm now sceptical about the chemicals used in dry cleaning, I take a soapy cloth and go over the almost white fur with the soapy cloth and go over it with a rinsed out one.  Shake it a few good times and let it hang outside in the sunshine.  Looks fresh and clean.  All other winter outerwear are jackets and raincoats and all machine washable.   Coats get dirty just like clothes do and need to be cleaned regularly. 

Respected Contributor

i would never wash my wool coat.  Mine is at the cleaners now.  It’s only $13 and that includes hopefully getting the coffee i dribbled on it out.  

Honored Contributor

I just 15 minutes ago ,washed a penelton wool jacket ,cold water ,castile soap, quick wash ,it is just fine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I just took in 2 wool jackets to the cleaners.  $35.70.  Talk about surprised at the price.  Thank goodness everything else I have is machine wash.  I will pick up the jackets tomorrow.  Our weather has been extremely warm for this time of year in the mid 40's in Chicago.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the coat.