Honored Contributor

Re: Washing Your Winter Coats

I wash most of my winter coats and I have a closet full, but no way would I wash a 100% wool coat in the washer.

First  of all, they are difficult to find, especially in petite sizes and second, they are super expensive.  I can't imagine that they wouldn't be ruined, especially the lining. I have been dry cleaning mine for years and will continue to do so.

I also dry clean 100% wool pants.  Mine are made by Pendleton and are investment pieces.  I only hand wash a few wool sweaters, but some others need dry cleaning too.

I do not wear my wool pieces on a regular basic anymore, so dry cleaning is not a problem. Most of my everyday clothing is washable.

Honored Contributor

...(eyes darting side to side)...

Are we suppose to wash our coats??

Honored Contributor

My Susan Graver from a couple seasons ago is lookig pretty tacky in the lining.  I try not to wear it where I will have to leave it on the back of a chair.  The outside is just fine.

Honored Contributor

I'm 5'10 - where in the heck would I find a mesh laundry bag big enough to accommodate one of my coats?  I'm thinking about knee length coats.  I appreciate the idea, don't get me wrong.  My luck I'd ruin the coat and break the washer.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Too long to read but I have no intensions whatsoever of washing my wool dress coat.  It says dry clean only that's what I do.  I don't wear it often so once a year, I use one of those dryer dry cleaning kits.

Respected Contributor

That's an interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I'm conservative when it comes to dress coats or wool ones. They go to the cleaners (but not every year, since I rarely wear them).

Anoraks and cotton jackets go into the washing machine.

For down and Permaloft puffers, I wipe them down (inside and out) in a mixture of Ivory liquid & water, with a clean wash cloth. This removes stains and odors. I avoid saturating the down, and ending up with a lumpy jacket. This isn't an approved method lol, but it works for me. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Ha ha!  This made me smile. 

It occurs to me that people who live in a cold climate with lots of snow, ice, sludge, etc. may need to pay more attention to cleaning coats. But in a warm climate, they're not used enough to make it much of an issue. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Although wool can be washed, many linings will be ruined with water.  If the lining shrinks or looks puckered, the coat won't look nice or fit well.

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Ha ha!  This made me smile. 

It occurs to me that people who live in a cold climate with lots of snow, ice, sludge, etc. may need to pay more attention to cleaning coats. But in a warm climate, they're not used enough to make it much of an issue.  

@peachesncream

That’s true!

I do live in North Texas where the climate warrants only a light jacket,

at best.  But I spent 23yrs if my life in the snowy-landscape of the

Midwest and never once did I wash/dry clean a coat unless I

spilled something on it.  And at 23 yrs or younger, it was probably 

beer (!). Ha  Just seems like a waste of time..and causes the garment

to wear out quicker, IMO. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would never wash a wool coat. In fact I wouldn’t wash any coat labeled dry clean only.Atleast that’s what I thought.

Several weeks ago I brought a faux distressed leather coat with faux Sherpa lining to the cleaners.The guy told me not to dry clean the coat no matter what the label said.He told me to wash it in the washing machine on a cold delicate cycle.Then hang to dry.He said the dry cleaning chemicals would break down the fibers.

I went home & did as he said. The coat looked as good as new!!