Super Contributor

I'm glad the OP posted this. Sadly, my experience has been the same as hers with the WK sweaters pilling. Also the sleeves on mine stretched out of shape. At first, I washed them as the OP did but always dried them flat. I never put mine in the dryer. Some that I bought later I hand washed. It made no difference. I've had posters argue with me that this cannot happen with the WK sweaters. Perhaps it has to do with them being different lots of yarn. I don't know but the first ones I bought that did this were at least 2 years ago. I've given up and will not purchase any more. I shave the ones I have to get rid of the pills and I push the sleeves up to almost my elbows so the looseness won't show. But I can't wear them anymore anywhere but very casual as they look a bit sloppy. It's a shame because I love the feel of the knit and the colors.

Contributor
I wash my WK on the normal/casual cycle (Westinghouse front load designation) cold wash/rinse. Dry on low for a few minutes then hang to dry. Perfection! I have done all the wrong things according to my directions for handling WK. Yet.....they always turn out perfectly.
Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 HAPPY LADY said:
On 1/4/2015 GraceCO said:

I checked out the Joy Mangano dryer on HSN--what a great idea. The cost is $149 and it's rated a 2.6 out of 5 stars. The reviews lean toward one star (106 out of 225), tho, which makes me pause.

I have Joy Mangano's steamer & hangers--I'd give both 5 stars.

I would give her steamer and hangers 5 stars also and that's why I took a chance on this dryer. I am always bewildered what some buyers expect out of a product. One reviewer year's ago gave it a 1 star stating she was not happy with this dryer because there were no sharp creases down the front of her jeans as there would be if she sent them to the cleaners. What?? I guess the concept of cleaning and not pressing some how escaped her comprehension. I have had mine for 6 years and am really, really pleased. So much so when this was offered the last time (when the video was done) I ordered a new one just in case my 6 year old one dies. I have the linen color and am very pleased. They do go on sale for $100 ever so often. If a product looks like it meets a need in my life I give it a go and if it doesn't I send it back. Guess I'm lucky, I very seldom get a lemon; actually almost never. I just do the system I mentioned earlier; turn it on, come home after work and everything I hung inside is good to go again.

Reassuring to hear you've had a good experience, especially after using it for 6 years. I definitely think it's worth a try. I will wait until it goes down to $99, tho.Wink Appreciate the heads up!

Honored Contributor

What is WK? I take my clothes (even cotton clothes) to the cleaners. I figure if I'm going to invest the money I can invest paying for them.

Some of the things (like jeans, etc) I take to a chain called ZIP cleaners. They're only around $2.99 each.

Esteemed Contributor

I probably have over 25 whisper knits collected over the time that they have been available. All are still good as new. I turn them inside out, place each one in a mesh bag, and wash in a gentle cold water cycle with similar colors - in other words, as part of a regular load. I never use the dryer. Instead, I shake each piece out and lay flat to dry on an electric sweater dryer recommended by a couple of Linea ladies. This is what works for me.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor
On 1/4/2015 shoesnbags said:

I probably have over 25 whisper knits collected over the time that they have been available. All are still good as new. I turn them inside out, place each one in a mesh bag, and wash in a gentle cold water cycle with similar colors - in other words, as part of a regular load. I never use the dryer. Instead, I shake each piece out and lay flat to dry on an electric sweater dryer recommended by a couple of Linea ladies. This is what works for me.

Shoesnbags, would you please share the name of the electric sweater dryer?

I wash my WKs the same way and lay them flat to dry, but they wrinkle. I steam them with the JM steamer, but it's time consuming. A sweater dryer sounds like a better option.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll try skipping the dryer altogether next time.

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my WKs the same way and lay them flat to dry, but they wrinkle. I steam them with the JM steamer, but it's time consuming. A sweater dryer sounds like a better option.

The sweater dryer is by Hamilton Beach. I no longer have the packaging since I keep it set up in my laundry area at all times, and I didn't see a model # when I checked just now. If one of the ladies who originally recommended this doesn't see your post & respond, I'll check more carefully when I get home tonight. It has four mesh "shelves" and a piece at the back that blows cool air over the clothing. Works like a dream, and I ordered online (Amazon maybe?). Hopefully someone else will post with more specific info.

ETA I do smooth out all wrinkles when I first lay the sweaters out to dry.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor
On 1/5/2015 shoesnbags said:

The sweater dryer is by Hamilton Beach. I no longer have the packaging since I keep it set up in my laundry area at all times, and I didn't see a model # when I checked just now. If one of the ladies who originally recommended this doesn't see your post & respond, I'll check more carefully when I get home tonight. It has four mesh "shelves" and a piece at the back that blows cool air over the clothing. Works like a dream, and I ordered online (Amazon maybe?). Hopefully someone else will post with more specific info.

ETA I do smooth out all wrinkles when I first lay the sweaters out to dry.

Thank you--the brand helps. I'll check around on Amazon. I didn't know this even existed!

I'll try smoothing out the wrinkles next time I lay them out. How do you store your sweaters? I've resorted to a big no-no for knits--hanging them up. I use JM hangers, so I get a smooth line along the shoulders, but I know it's not he best way. If I roll or fold them, they are a mass of wrinkles.

Esteemed Contributor
Linea's WK are not the same. It depends when you brought them. i washed a new sweater in washing machine in a pillow case. It came out with fine wrinkles. I am going to dry clean my wrinkled sweater and see what happens. I have older sweaters that wash and dry flat well.