Regular Contributor

Washing Barefoot Dreams in my hard water

I am a huge Barefoot Dreams fan!  I own eight cardi's and three lounge pants.  My problem is that the water where I live is very hard so my BD items have lost their amazing softness.  The care instructions said NOT to use fabric softener, and I don't.  I use Fabric softener on all my OTHER clothes.    

I can't add a water softener onto my waterheater as I live in a high rise.  Any suggestions from someone who had the same issue?  And, does anyone use Softener and not suppose to?  How does it feel?  Did it ruin the fabric?

Thanks for your help!

New Contributor

Hi! You can try adding a non precipitating water conditio...

Hi!
You can try adding a non precipitating water conditioner for laundry or white vinegar; both soften the water. Be sure to check if vinegar affects the rubber seals of your washing machine first by checking manufacturers manual! Hope it helps!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Washing Barefoot Dreams in my hard water

Fabric softner will ruin the fabric, changing it's texture and breathability. There are many things made from these newer fabrics now, and I've ruined enough of them to know.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree w/ @x Hedge.

Also, no dryer sheets with those kinds of fabrics.

Trusted Contributor

How about Nellie's all natural lamby dryerballs? I haven't actually tried them with Barefoot Dreams, but use them for my clothes.  

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to hear your fabric changed texture.  I love Barefoot Dreams and have lots of items from that company.  I didn't hear this from the BD rep, but another company who makes very soft items makes it clear to never ever use heat when drying their items.  Have you been drying the BD items all the way in the dryer?  I only toss them in on delicate/damp dry for about 3-4 minutes and then hang them up to dry the rest of the way.  I think high heat can sort of mat down or fuse the fibers.  I hope mine never change texture.  I love them all.

Respected Contributor

We have very hard water, but have a water softener.  Have you thought about getting one of these? The cost is worth it. I highly recommend!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, tiny fibers that give a garment that softness you love, become fused together and coated from fabric softner/sheets. If you're heavy-handed with them they also leave a residue inside your machines that I think can transfer to fabrics in the next load.

I never used dryer sheets after reading about someone trying to clean residue from the inside of the drum.
I do use liquid softner, but I find I can get by with just a fraction of the recommend amount. I dilute it quite a bit and still have no problem with static, which is my main reason for using.
I dont use ANY softner on the newer fabrics that are, or share properties with microfiber.

I also have very hard water. Many people here use '20 Mule Team Borax' in the washer because of Borax's natural water softening action.
Look for it in the laundry aisle.
Regular Contributor

I only use the dryer on delicate for about five mintues or so.  When I hang them with no dryer, still not soft.

Regular Contributor

Re: Hi! You can try adding a non precipitating water conditio...

Thank you.