Honored Contributor

Until this year, it was maybe ten years worth.  This year they all went.  I didn't try on everything, but everything that's left should fit.  If it doesn't, it will go too.  I've been freed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Wardrobe Question

[ Edited ]

I try to keep my weight steady, mainly for health reasons (diabetes in my family and I really don't want it). Also, I love my clothes and want to be able to wear my favorites. 

If something in my closet doesn't fit well, it's because I bought the wrong size (or the wrong item) to begin with. I just get rid of it. 

Respected Contributor

I'm trying to keep my weight steady too because I lost weight and I just (last Saturday) gave away all of the clothes that were too big for me.  I had been hanging on to it but someone pointed out it wasn't a good idea because it's kind of giving yourself "permission" to gain the weight back if you have clothes you'll get back into.  So now I have more incentive to keep the weight off.

Honored Contributor

@Gayle2 wrote:
How long do you hang on to wardrobe items that no longer fit as well as they used to?

If they don't fit

no reason to keep

Honored Contributor

I don't keep anything that doesn't fit. I gained a lot of weight several years ago when menopause hit. I had to get rid of almost all my pants, shorts, and skirts and even some tops and then replace them with larger sizes. It was depressing at first, but I am not that size or shape anymore. Better to have items that fit then keep stuff that doesn't. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I'm fortunate in that my weight has stabilized. I take up all the space in the master walk in closet, most of the guest bedroom closet is filling. It's such a pleasure for me to have so many choices.

Honored Contributor

@Gayle2

For me, it depends on why they don't fit.  If they are slightly snug, I keep them because it's not hard for me to cut back calories.  If they are too big, it's easy for me to ditch or donate.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

I used to hang on to everything for way too long.  I did lose weight but found that I no longer liked and/or items that fit were out of style.  Even the "classics" change - shape of sleeves, shoulder lines, lapels.  They fit but looked dated, so out they went! 

Now I only keep things that I love.  If I have not worn something in a year it gets donated OR if I am not sure it goes into a section in my closet where I force myself to wear it.  Typically those goes straight into the donate pile after I put them on (and I remember why I don't wear the item), or else at the end of the day, because I didn't like I it felt or looked.  Easy way to get rid of the "maybe I will wear it one day" stuff!

Valued Contributor

I have always, for the most part, bought clothes that are classics (nice sweaters, suits, boucle coats, lots of embroidered things., lace, etc etc.) I CANNOT part with anything and I am retired LOL. I have delusions of fitting into all these beautiful clothes and many of them don't fit. Same with shoes, handbags and jewelry. I just don't know what to do with myself.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

I have a Goodwill box.  If I am not sure about getting rid of something I will wear it and that will usually settle the doubt.  I do keep dressier or special occasion clothes longer than everyday clothing.