Honored Contributor

Re: Wardrobe All-Stars vs. Wardrobe Benchwarmers

Magic,

Tell us about your MVP, among the "All Stars." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

I follow this blog and know exactly what you're talking about, lola!

The first thing that came to mind regarding All-Stars was my black tropical wool Jackson pants from Banana Republic. I wear them at least twice a week (I have two pairs).

Also, the Talbots faux-wrap knit tops that I write about frequently are a definite All-Star. Ditto the Talbots cashmere sweaters. And the silk popover blouses from Ann Taylor. In the summer, both the full-length and cropped white denim jeans from Talbots.

Benchwarmers are becoming fewer, given the amount of clothing I donated in 2014 and earlier this year. But I'd have to say my current Benchwarmers are pieces that will be more flattering once I drop 5-10 pounds, which is a serious goal of mine for spring. These are pieces I'm not willing to let go of and look forward to wearing again (tropical wool pants, a couple of skirts and a couple of pairs of jeans).

This should be a fun topic -- thanks for starting it!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 lolakimono said:

Magic,

Tell us about your MVP, among the "All Stars." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Oh, tough question lola. I recently realized that I was creating far too many outfits that shared the same "look". My penchant happened to be cashmere sweaters with a nice pair of trousers. But I looked the same everyday.

As a result, I now will only incorporate a "different" look (unless, of course, I am replacing an item). And as of my most recent closet analysis, I have saved only a few cashmere sweaters (in different styles) and have passed the rest on so that hopefully someone else will enjoy them.

Back to your question, it is really difficult for me to chose a favorite. One of my latest acquisitions is a long taupey-camel duster sweater that looks great with a turtleneck (another new look for me), a scarf, slim or skinny pants/jeans and boots. We are experiencing a bit of a warm spell for a few days and I can wear this without a outer garment. Yay!

Respected Contributor

An interesting idea for sure. For me, I have a lot of "benchwarmers"things. I do wear leather skirts and pants year round, but jackets, coats, suits, and dresses only when it is really chilly. Don't laugh. Some Sunday mornings it can be down to the low 40's and I reach for those literally "benchwarmer" pieces.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 StylishLady said:

An interesting idea for sure. For me, I have a lot of "benchwarmers"things. I do wear leather skirts and pants year round, but jackets, coats, suits, and dresses only when it is really chilly. Don't laugh. Some Sunday mornings it can be down to the low 40's and I reach for those literally "benchwarmer" pieces.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Hi StylishLady. I don't think benchwarmers include clothing that is off-season, but rather clothing we hang on to even though we don't like and might not even wear.