Respected Contributor

Re: Walking to school in a dress

When I was 7 and we lived in Wisconsin, my teacher made me a crossing guard. So before school, during lunch, and after school I had to stand in the road wearing a white belt over my clothes and help other kids get across the road. At lunch, I had to run home and scarf something down quickly so I could go back to my duty. In winter, I wore snowpants under my dress/skirt and was wrapped up like Ralphie's little brother in the movie A Christmas Story. My older brother was a crossing guard also and got frost bite, but his class later voted for him to go on the annual Washington D.C. trip. I walked over a mile to junior high and 2 miles (mostly along a highway) to high school. We girls were never allowed to wear slacks, only pants and boots to keep us warm that had to be removed before classes started. As far as leotards go, they were stretchy bodysuits that we wore to ballet class and never to school. We had a lot of colds and runny noses back then. Lol.

Esteemed Contributor

I wore dresses all through grammar and high school but when I was younger, we wore snow pants and tights in HS....there really were no school buses except for special needs children who had to attend schools out of their zones.  School was rarely closed and if it was really coming down, we got a half day or early release but the fun classes were cancelled like gym, music, art etc...I walked pretty far even tho I was within my school zone in grammar, HS was a lot closer but my father transferred me to a private HS and I traveled on two public buses.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to walk to school in grade school & middle school. When it was cold, I wore ski pants under my dresses then took them off when I got to school. I hated the stirrups used to keep the ski pants from riding up. Because I have such long legs, the pants were always being falling down on me because of the dang stirrups, my mom finally just cut them off. Once I got into high school, I was far enough away to ride the bus. During the warmer spring months, sometimes I actually walked home from school when I was in high school to get some exercise into my day.

Honored Contributor

We could wear pants.  Shorts too.  This was public school.  I wore jeans in elementary school.  Middles school I was wearing pants.  And in high school I was in jeans.

Honored Contributor

I started school in 1955 and graduated in 1968, our public school system still had a strict dress code. Girls wore skirts or dresses and boys wore slacks, no jeans and no tee shirts. I walked 2 miles to grade school and about 2.5 miles to high school, it was brutal in the winter especially when it snowed.

Honored Contributor

I had to walk about a half mile to my elementary school. I wore dresses.....and tights usually on cold mornings. In jr high and high school I took the bus, but we could wear pants then.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I walked to school every day in my uniform skirt, knee high socks and loafers. I did that for 8 years. My mom walked with me when I was little, then it became my older brother's job until he graduated. Then I was old enough to walk by myself. In high school I walked to and then waited at the public bus stop in my uniform skirt and knee high socks and loafers. It wasn't until college that I wore jeans to school, but I still rode the public bus.

Valued Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Yes, I walked to school every day in my uniform skirt, knee high socks and loafers. I did that for 8 years. My mom walked with me when I was little, then it became my older brother's job until he graduated. Then I was old enough to walk by myself. In high school I walked to and then waited at the public bus stop in my uniform skirt and knee high socks and loafers. It wasn't until college that I wore jeans to school, but I still rode the public bus.

I went to a catholic school and wore a uniform - don't really remember what we wore during winter.  Probably the leotards like everyone is talking about.  We did not have lunch at school so we walked back and forth four times a day.   Wore a uniform in high school but had to wear nylons.  I took a city bus to and from high school.  Don't ever remember wearing pantsto school  in elementary school or high school.  And nobody was driven to school - everyone walked.