Honored Contributor

Re: Walking to school in a dress

I went to catholic school and had to wear a uniform for 12 years. Yes, I had to walk to school, about 2 miles. When I was younger I wore snowpants under my skirt, removed the pants and hung them in my locker when I got to school. In high school I either rode with friends or drove myself when I was able to. I haven't thought of this in years. 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I went to an RC elementary and high school in Brooklyn, NY that was 6 long city blocks from our home. We walked both ways cause Dad needed the car for work. We wore uniforms every day and in very bad weather Mom would tell me to wear pants under my jumper and take them off in the coat room. By the time I got to HS tights were available so I wore beige everyday. The sisters never noticed Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

At my high school not only no pants but no V-neck sweaters unless you had a blouse underneath.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a boomer too and we wore dresses to school. I think we only started to wear pants and jeans in high school. In college I think is when I started to wear jeans all the time. Elementary school we always walked to school. My mom didn't drive us to school. We took buses to junior high and high school.

My experiences are probably like a lot of you and I seldom wear or want to wear a dress or skirt nowadays.

Honored Contributor

@granny me
Duck and Cover yes, dime drive no. I do remember the bonds were sold in increments of stickers that you placed on a card
Respected Contributor

Late 60's we still had to wear skirts or dresses. No culottes. I didn't walk to school as dad dropped me off on the way to work. Getting home was a different story. The school was new at the time up on a hill just outside of town. There were no windbreaks. In winter by the time  reached home my knees would be blue.

Honored Contributor

I wore a uniform for 12 years ... I don't ever recall it being terribly cold ... just normal NYC winters.  Our skirts came down passed our knees and we wore long coats (and boots in snowy weather).   I still wear long coats in NYC in the winter.

Honored Contributor

We had a very long walk to the trolly stop when I was in High school then a very short ride on the trolley followed by a long trudge up about 100 city steps then up a steep hill to the school. We used to walk across the trolley bridge instead of riding so we could save the busfare.We were already frozen - what good was a few blocks ride? We always wore pants under our skirts to walk to & from school and took them off when we got there. My Mother also made us always wear boots - and back in those days boots were really ugly! However, shoes were expensive and if I caught a cold I'd get very ill being an asthmatic , so boots & heavy socks to walk to school or else. Beside - everyone else's Mom made them wear the same thing. We all looked equally bad.

Honored Contributor

Anyone recall wearing babushkas to school instead of hats because they kept you warm but didn't ruin your hair ?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @granny me, I remember the dime drive -- and I remember having to wear "dog tags" every day, and duck-and-cover drills.  I hope those days are gone.

I went to elementary school in the 50's and no slacks were allowed.  Girls could wear slacks under our skirts to walk to and from school, but when we got inside the school building, we had to remove our slacks and hang them up with our coats.   My neighbor friends and I walked 12 blocks to and from school no matter what the weather.  There were no school buses back then unless you lived in a small rural town.

Girls couldn't wear slacks in junior high or high school either -- but the boys could wear jeans so long as they weren't "blue" jeans.  Girls were never allowed to wear jeans at all, ever.   Double standard, as usual.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt