Honored Contributor

Re: Walking to school in a dress

I'm 56 years old so I started school in 1965. For the first three years I went to private school, wore a uniform and rode a bus. I didn't know any of the kids in the neighborhood so I begged to go to public school; big mistake! It was just under 1 mile walk and I played the cello! Can you just imagine a little 8 year old girl carrying an instrument the same size as she was?! I grew up in Northern Virginia so we had some brutal winters too
Honored Contributor

BTW I recall the Presidential Fitness Test every year, getting actual physicals in school, buying savings bonds and doing disaster drills
Honored Contributor

We couldn't wear pants either. Skirts and knee socks , and a long cold walk to school. I was so happy to get to college and wear jeans.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Buffalo, NY.... Jr & Sr High School.... we lived ONE street too close to school to take the bus so we walked the 2 1/2 miles to school in skirts, knee socks, and thin plastic boots over Capezio flats.

My biggest concern however, was keeping my hair  from losing it's curl.  I remember wearing rollers under a scarf and pulling them out a few blocks from the school.  It worked pretty well until I began dating a boy who lived near me and wanted to walk me to school!

Goodness what memories!  That was almost 60 years ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays I am a Boomer and I remember walking several miles to school.  I once wore coulottes (sp) those things that came below my knee and and looked like a skirt but were pants.  They were ready to send me home but when they saw how far I had to walk and I was crying, they let me stay!  They were a birthday gift.

Things really have changed!  

@Annabellethecat66

I got some culottes as a Christmas gift in 9th grade and wore them to school and I DID GET SENT HOME!...lol! my mom made me change and brought me right back. She made me apologize to the principal for being disrespectful in doing so. Let me just say, I dressed very preppy. My culottes were a navy blue wool and looked just like a skirt. I had on a while turtleneck sweater that had a navy and red trim, stockings and Bass Weejuns that tied. Still I was unacceptable. We were finally able to wear nice dress pants(no jeans)in my junior year of high school 1971. We also had to wear shoes, no sneakers including the boys. I retired from teaching in that same school in June 2015 and the things the students wore made me cringe! You're not kidding "THINGS have Changed!" Unfortunately, Not for the Better!"

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

We couldn't even wear pants when I was in college and there was often a lot of snow and very cold.   Had to walk all over campus as almost no one had a car.  We could only wear pants going in a car leaving campus.   I walked a mile to and from high school under the same conditions and no pants. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I didn't own a pair jeans until high school. I attended public school and pants were not allowed it was dresses or skirts and neither could be shorter than a dollar bill measure.

Valued Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
BTW I recall the Presidential Fitness Test every year, getting actual physicals in school, buying savings bonds and doing disaster drills

Do you remember the dime drive? We would have little tin boxes on the teachers desk and I can't remember how often we would have to bring in a dime.

Also do you remember the duck and cover drill?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We couldn't even wear pants when I was in college and there was often a lot of snow and very cold.   Had to walk all over campus as almost no one had a car.  We could only wear pants going in a car leaving campus.   I walked a mile to and from high school under the same conditions and no pants. 

@Kachina 624    Lucky for me, college occupied a downtown high-rise.........but getting there was a different story.   Had to take an (unheated) commuter bus to the elevated..........and stand on a freezing platform until the train came.    THEN......had to store wet boots in a locker, and put them back on again still wet, to go home.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i'm a boomer -  of course we walked or biked to schooll - all seasons - rain/snow/sleet -  in dresses - no problem.  in the winter my coat was long enough to cover my boots.  we had leggings but only to about age  7.  my mother wasn't a fan of tights-  wore a lot of skirts with knee socks  i don't remember freezing to death or having any problems   to this day i feel more comfortable in a skirt/dress than being confined in slacks.