Valued Contributor

Re: Waffle knit tops

[ Edited ]

I have one and regret having it.  It stretches out waaaaaay too much having no real shape and no redeemng fashion value.  Practically it is warm for just kicking around the house during the winter months like a lightweight sweatshirt. 

Never again. 

Super Contributor

I like the feel of waffle knit, but I wouldn't wear a waffle top in public. It just reminds me too much of long johns. 

Trusted Contributor

I like the look and feel of waffle knit, but it can stretch out or be too clingy (on me!) if not fitted correctly.  I had a couple cute ones from Eddie Bauer a few years ago.

Honored Contributor

Search in the Walmart site:  'Womens thermal tops' 

Gee, there are quite a few, and also includes 'waffle knit' in the group. 

Several popular brands, too.   Great prices.

Thanks for the alert!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma, I'm with you on waffle knits. I just don't care for the texture. I bought a waffle knit shirt some years ago and felt like I was wearing pj's. I know the matrial is popular, but it's just not for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I love a good quality, soft waffle knit top. My preference is a henley style where I can leave the top two buttons unbuttoned and then it doesn't read masculine to my fashion eye.

Honored Contributor

Re: Waffle knit tops

[ Edited ]

@wilma wrote:

Do you like waffle knit tops? 

I know Fall & Winter are approaching when I start seeing waffle knit tops for sale.

I don’t like the texture of waffle knit. It doesn’t feel soft enough for me. IMO it also gives off a masculine vibe. Waffle knit reminds me of thermal underwear. Maybe that’s why I don’t like it as a stand alone top. 

For those who like it, enjoy! It’s just not a texture I like. 

@wilma   I don't like waffle knit, cables or other heavy patterns in my knit wear. I have enough bulk in my shoulders without adding more. Masculine? Well, I guess you could open several buttons, add a silk cami w/ a little lace. BTW, I stay away from fleece for the same reason. Menswear is big!

Super Contributor

I really hate the looks of Waffle knit tops.  Looks like something a construction worker should wear.  It's a BAD fahion moment.

Esteemed Contributor

I like waffle knit henley tops in cold weather.  They are great for layering with, for instance, flannel shirts.   When they get old and worn, I wear them as sleep tops with flannel bottoms.   Soooo warm!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I'm like you, I like the look of a waffle knit but they're rather stiff and scratchy so I don't even consider them anymore.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown