Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I know this has been discussed before but what in heaven's name are some woman thinking when they buy clothing?  Do they think they actually look good in some of their choices?  Do they look at themselves in a full length mirror?  Do they just not care?  TOday I saw a scary sight.  A plus size woman pushing a stroller in the mall wearing a pair of bright paisley print leggings that looked like she had been poured into them and a top that barely covered her waist band.  Now I am not putting down Plus size women because I am one but really.  Her rear end was so big it looked like a shelf was coming out between her waist and the top of her legs.  As she walked her rear swung from side to side and all this encased in skintight leggings in a floral print.  IT was quite distracting and not in a good way.  I certainly have plenty of figure flaws but I try to play them down not up.  I really wanted to go up and ask her what possessed her to buy those awful things but of course I didn't.  NOt all fashion choices should be worn by all sizes.  JUst because you can buy them doesn't mean you should.

Honored Contributor

Re: WOman's clothing choices

While I have to admit such thoughts often go through my mind, it's really none of my business and it's everyone's choice to wear what they like and are comfortable in so I don't dwell on it.  I'm sure at some time my clothing choices have been questioned and even mocked by some. 

Honored Contributor

I love people watching.  As I am going about my business, shopping at the mall or whatever I am doing, I am always curious.  I mean, I don't just stare and be intrusive, but I do notice people and what they are wearing, their makeup, their hair, etc.  Sometimes, I will think --- oh, gee -- that looks so nice -- why didn't I think to put that outfit together like that.  Or, maybe --- I love the way her makeup is applied or her hairstyle, etc.

Then, there is the opposite, and I think -- oh, goodness --- do I look that bad when I wear that???  I agree that its definitely everyone's choice to wear what they want, but sometimes I do think some are doing themselves a disservice by some of the things they wear.  I mean, why deliberately accentuate some of your figure flaws??  

I am very sensitive about different areas of my body.  For instance, since I've gotten older, I have a little pouchy stomach thing -- it's not large, but I try to be careful not to wear anything that will show it. And my hips and thighs I have never been fond of, so if I am wearing something a little more formfitting, I will wear a longer top.  

A lot of those stretchy bottoms that are out now --- some are in very wild prints, some are plain --- they are comfortable - but they are not forgiving in how they show off the body ---what is good and what is bad!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Don't ever go to the website People of Walmart!   You might stroke out.

I've had to get over my disgust of what most people wear what they would describe as casual.   So when I'm at Walmart, the grocery store & even the mall, I just look, chuckle & move on.

What irritates me is when they show up like that in a nice restaurant.   Come on people, have a little respect for yourself & other diners.

@KathyPet wrote:

I know this has been discussed before but what in heaven's name are some woman thinking when they buy clothing?  Do they think they actually look good in some of their choices?  Do they look at themselves in a full length mirror?  Do they just not care?  TOday I saw a scary sight.  A plus size woman pushing a stroller in the mall wearing a pair of bright paisley print leggings that looked like she had been poured into them and a top that barely covered her waist band.  Now I am not putting down Plus size women because I am one but really.  Her rear end was so big it looked like a shelf was coming out between her waist and the top of her legs.  As she walked her rear swung from side to side and all this encased in skintight leggings in a floral print.  IT was quite distracting and not in a good way.  I certainly have plenty of figure flaws but I try to play them down not up.  I really wanted to go up and ask her what possessed her to buy those awful things but of course I didn't.  NOt all fashion choices should be worn by all sizes.  JUst because you can buy them doesn't mean you should.

Respected Contributor

Other women's choices are different than mine, and that's a good thing. It would be a strange world indeed if everyone dressed as I do. I'm guessing some people see me and wonder why I am wearing what I wear. So be it.

Respected Contributor

With this being a shopping channel and all, and its focus on fashion, a certain type of woman is drawn here.  

There are LOTS of women, like the lady  in the mall, perhaps, who does not care about fashion or shopping or appearance.  Or she has other priorities, or thinks she cannot afford to look nice, or she just doesn't care one way or another.  As long as she is covered up, she is OK with that.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

An  answer to that would have to be on an individual basis I suppose . Everybody would have their own response. One must bite their tongue and not ask.

Perhaps one recieved thier clothing thru a charity or even dumpster diving. The woman may have hurried out to buy food or diapers for her child without even glancing in a mirror. Or maybe she was once the size of the clothing she wore and had a condition/meds that caused weight gain/bloating  and no choices. Or maybe she needed a reality check and a glance in the mirror. The later is good for all of us. Smiley Happy

I know I have been known to change my garb after doing that . Smiley Happy While DH has a look on his face (he is too experienced/fearful at being a DH to say it ) like 'you are changing again - we are just going to the mall !'

Honored Contributor

My gripe is those ********** tags they put in women's clothes. I have to cut them out because they scratch my neck . Nothing is worse then driving in your car and your constantly reaching back there to pull and tug on a label that is cutting into you.

when you get home you grab scissors and try not to cut into the fabric. Have to reach for my glasses to see up close especially if the item is dark.

I've nicked a few in my day then have to sit down and sew couple stitches.

Mens clothes they don't have labels all the time like women's. 

Isaac's clothes are great I've got ton of his tops and they're label free.

Denim & Co. I have to cut on still. Linea too.

Honored Contributor

Who appointed you Chief of Fashion Police...lol   Why do you care so much about what other women choose to wear?   It's not you are some type of fashion expert,  Fashion is a choice, there's no right and there is no wrong.  We wear what we want to wear....period.  And when get down from that high horse you are riding; look in the mirror....because a whole lot of women think YOU are dressed like something from horror story...lol   

Respected Contributor

I am big on live and let live.  I try not to judge.  That is not to say I don't have a thought or two when is see something I would not wear but I try and let it go as soon as the thought crosses my mind.  You never know someones circumstances, financial, mental, etc......

Deb