Super Contributor

WIW: Pineapples & Moon Boots (w/e 9/24/22)...

[ Edited ]

Hello fashion friends!

I'm probably the last one to have figured this, but...last fall, I kept my  lightweight cashmere out of storage for a few weeks after storing the heavier weight ones and wore them during transition, which, to my surprise, worked out well. Also, this past spring, I took my lightweight cashmere out of storage earlier than the heavier weight ones and got extended use out of them then, too.

I mention that because it gave me the idea to try wearing my linen blouses during transition, too. I guess I thought that, like white pants, linen shouldn't be worn after Labor Day. It's only going to work with my Chico's no-iron linen, though, because they aren't obviously linen, or, more precisely, they aren't wrinkled and, therefore, don't look like linen, which I do think screams summer.

Lunch with my girlfriend...80 degrees, slightly humid, sunny...substitute any no-iron linen or cotton blouse in my closet with different accessories and this outfit idea (which I'm sure is not original) has been working well for me during warm (early fall) transitional weather.

*Chico's no-iron linen pineapple blouse
*Old Eileen Fisher linen tank (as base layer)
*Thrifted ($2.50) black Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda" jeans (cropped by me)

(Bragging by including the prices)
*Thrifted ($3) black/white/yellow daisy silk Echo scarf
*Thrifted ($2) earrings
*Thrifted ($1) wood bangle
Do I get style points for print mixing?

*Very old B. Mak bag...a gold-ish champagne metallic-y leather (for lack of a better description haha)
*Taupe suede Rag & Bone slides

A day or two later...shopping and errands...71 degrees, very low humidity, overcast, windy, scattered showers (welcome to our transitional season)

*Lightweight baby blue ribbed crop top ($8 item from the junior's dept at the Rack)
*Mid-weight Olive+Oak ribbed cropped cardigan in a pretty blue, almost teal (it has a matching bralette, but I wanted to try it this way for an option)
*Levi's Dad jeans, which I love and have worn so much that I bought a dark wash pair when they went on sale

*Chico's necklace
*Thrifted cloisonné flower bangles (3 for $6)

*Faux leather Jessica Simpson studded bag
*And, finally, the (canvass) moon boots! I have to eat humble pie for all the snarky comments I've made about these lug boots hahaha. Not that I'm going to buy any more, mind you. But, for $10 at a boutique geared toward young adults, I got them for fun. As light weight and comfy as my favorite sneaks, go figure.

Would love to know what you think of (1) wearing linen into fall, and (2) moon boots (be honest...I can take it ).

Hope y'all have a great week.

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: WIW: Pineapples & Moon Boots (w/e 9/24/22)...

@MacDuFF I've always thought those "don't wear after Labor Day" ideas were just plain ridiculous. I spent my first 61 years in Southern Calif. and no one adhered to that IMO silly "rule."

Wear white and/or linen any time you jolly well please. I'm in the Pacific NW now and I see white in all kinds of weather all during the year.

Super Contributor

I hear ya @Love my grandkids, but some of the rules made sense in the midwest (where I'm from and proud of it).  OTOH, some rules don't make sense depending on where you live, which could be the key (?).  I lived in SoCal before moving here 21 years ago, so you'd think I would have figured out the dress-by-the-temps-not-the-silly-rules thang a looong time ago.  

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Respected Contributor

@MacDuFF  I like the changes they've made to linen to make it more wearable. It's such a nice textural fabric. All of your looks are awesome and put together so well. I especially like the dad jeans.

Super Contributor

@Desert Lily   ITA...love linen, hate wrinkles.  Thanks 'lily...those Dad jeans turned out to be so much better than I ever imagined.

Esteemed Contributor

I like your moon boots. I don't have any right now, but have worn those several years ago. 

I live in the midwest, and rules about clothing not appropriate after Labor Day never made sense to me. I don't think it matters where one lives; the rules don't apply in my case. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

Hi @teganslaw   I'm truly shocked at how much I like the moon boots!  Handsome was skeptical...he looked at those lug soles, and, in his best Joe Kenda voice, said, "Don't wear these to commit a crime!"  hahaha

As to rules...I thought about this again today because the outfit I wore would have looked good with my off-white straw handbag.  But, temps were on the cool side, and my outfit was more "fall."  Since straw bags, to my eye, (YMMV) are for summer, I chose another handbag.  I don't think there's a specific rule about that (like the familiar "don't wear white after Labor Day), but it seems to me there's a point when a straw bag would just look ridiculous with cool temps and fall fabrics.

I think some of the old rules make sense and others don't.  My sister, the rebel and rule-breaker, always said, "Show your toes until it snows."  I think even she would look at you with fashion misgivings if you (generic) were wearing peep-toed heels in the snow haha!

Most women I know have some rules, or, if you prefer, guidelines for dressing.  I'm curious...do you have an anything goes approach?

For now, using the weather conditions as a guide to dressing rather than an arbitrary date on the calendar or "because Aunt Sadie said so" is working well.  I'll say this, though, my Mom's fashion "rules" have, for the most part, stood the test of time.  (Aunt Sadie was a whole other story hahaha.)

I appreciate your comments, tegan...thanks.

Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF 

Everything looks great.  Yes, you did a good job of mixing prints.  You have such great taste and are such a good thrift shopper.  I am a big fan of cloisonne and have found thirfted bracelets as well.  I have a "filled" 21-inch 14K cloisonne necklace c.1980s.

Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF 

Look at you, mixing prints and wearing gold! 😄. 

The scarf and pineapple blouse go so well together. When colors are the same, you can mix prints, and the black in the scarf "frames" the outfit. (Do you know what I mean?)

I also like the blue outfit. The short sweater is not something I remember seeing you in, but I like the look.

Your willingness to try new things sets a good example, and I'm happy you don't follow outdated fashion rules.

Have a great day, cuz.

Esteemed Contributor

MacDuff, I often go for "anything goes" style, but not always. For example, I think jeans are fine for church as long as a person is well groomed. Black is OK for weddings, and casual style is OK for funerals IMO. 

Some people don't like everyone being so casual, but I'm OK with it. It would be inappropriate to dress casually if an affair calls for "black tie", though. Sometimes one has to set rules. 

I don't wear flipflops, just not my style. My go to clothes are jeans, camp shirts layered with tanks, tee shirts or sweaters. I like dusters and toppers, wear boots all seasons, except when the temperature is over 85. 

Keep up the photos, I like seeing the different looks you show us. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain