Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN I CAN GO “OUT” I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WEARING.........

@I am still oxox Heaters certainly would add time.  Most of the outdoor seating near me (Long Island) is new this summer, and pretty makeshift with tents and plastics, too.  Not sure how those heaters work in that atmosphere, but it would be nice if they can.

Respected Contributor

In TX I've been eating out in restaurants for awhile now.  No issues at all, and I appreciate the extra precautions they have taken to be open.  I have zero interest in going to a movie theater, so that's no biggie for me.  I pretty much go places I want, mostly outdoor functions, but it's no where near the normal it needs to be.  I wear my mask when needed and keep my distance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@author wrote:

@Shanus 

My mother who was completely and totally from the north/midwest always said "a lick and a promise" as now I say it!  I didn't know it was a southern expression, but then again so much of her delicious cooking was southern style as well.  

She had English/Irish/French ancestry, and my grandmother cooked New England and southern style and said those same expressions.

Now that I have watched so many PBS shows from Britain I realize many of her sayings are indeed from there originally, but I have NEVER heard anyone else say "a lick and a pomise"!  I had to explain what it meant to hubby.....

@author @Shanus 

My grandmother always used that expression. She was born and raised in NOLA, of German ancestry many generations back.  I always just thought it was an expression her generation used. Y'all made me feel all warm and fuzzy hearing it again. 😉

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Indoor dining, movies, concerts and plays are not in my playbook for now. I don't care if they have opened back up or not. These activities will have to wait for now. Not concerned about makeup or dressing up at this point.  I don't go out in public without a mask and I appreciate all who wear masks and I avoid  those who don't. 

@50Mickey 

I couldn't have said it better!

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags   So happy I could bring you fuzzy feelings. Not much can do that these days.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

We have been going out since the restaurants in NC opened.  We dont do movies so thats not an option for us.  We have been living our normal life with precautions.

@Imaoldhippie   My DD lives in WA and traveled to AZ last month to visit friends. If she were younger, would have put her across my knees!!! She should know better as a health professional, but said she isn't giving up what may be years of her life. She believes eventually we will all get Covid....mild cases for most, but unavoidable the way it spreads and people not willing to mask up.

@Shanus 

She may be right, but I'd rather get it later rather than sooner.  The more time passes, the more will be known about effective treatment. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

We have been going out since the restaurants in NC opened.  We dont do movies so thats not an option for us.  We have been living our normal life with precautions.

@Imaoldhippie   My DD lives in WA and traveled to AZ last month to visit friends. If she were younger, would have put her across my knees!!! She should know better as a health professional, but said she isn't giving up what may be years of her life. She believes eventually we will all get Covid....mild cases for most, but unavoidable the way it spreads and people not willing to mask up.

@Shanus 

She may be right, but I'd rather get it later rather than sooner.  The more time passes, the more will be know about effective treatment. 

@shoesnbags   Vaccine on the way? Not sure I'd trust that just yet.....Let others try it out first. 😜

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus 

Oh no, not vaccine. I said "treatment."  I'm with you on the vaccine issue. 

@Shanus wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Shanus 

She may be right, but I'd rather get it later rather than sooner.  The more time passes, the more will be know about effective treatment. 

@shoesnbags   Vaccine on the way? Not sure I'd trust that just yet.....Let others try it out first. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I live in Florida and, on the news, I hear how great our numbers are (take testing locations away and don’t release the real numbers and this happens) and, of course, we have successfully defeated the pandemic here... Come on down! Leave your masks at home and don’t even consider social distancing! 

No matter what we are told by anyone, we really have no reason to believe most of it at this point. To be honest, best case scenario, I am guessing it will be about 8-9 months before it is actually “safe” to go out and socialize in a way similar to what we used to call normal. Worst case, 8-9 months from now things will be so much worse than they are now that none of us can imagine it.

Bottom line; “going out” safely is too far away for me to think about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@millieshops  Sorry about your your losses. Don't mean to make light of the situation.  I do understand the risks involved. We haven't dined inside a restaurant either. In our small college town, there are few restaurants with outdoor seating and then only about half dozen tables which have roped off for social distancing....3 tables? We brought in pizza or Chinese food several times, but that's been it. I've never cooked as many meals as I have since mid-February .... 

@Shanus I'm sorry to hear that there isn't much in the way of outdoor dining near you....I understand now why you're looking forward to be able to really get out!

I'm very lucky.  My area has lot of restaurants with beautiful outdoor patios.  Some had the patios to begin with and others are makeshift in outdoor dining areas made out of the parking lot. 

Even the Jewish deli has made a nice area out of the large parking lot with tents, area rugs and large potted plants.  They plan on adding heat lamps as the weather changes.

The place we went to last night has about 15 tables (all filled...people are wanting to get out!!) spaced apart with a firepit and will soon add heat lamps.