Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT STYLE WINTER COAT DO YOU WEAR

Puffy be darned! Down is amazing for keeping warm and I purchased a full-length one when I had to go to DC in February.
I love to look cute but I like being warm even better
Honored Contributor

I generaly like one a few inches above the knee.  I have a lot of Dennis Basso coats and I'm currently considering yesterday's special value which just two inches longer than his usual length, is still, well, longer!

I don't like wool.  I had a beautiful merino wool coat but it was too heavy!

Get a heavy coat and heavy handbag and you have a problem.

Image result for picture of a woman in a heavy coat

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It varies - different ladies have differing POV about coats. Some don't care if they are freezing as long as their coat shows off their figure - the one Stylish lady put a picture of is an example. Others want a coat to primarily keep them warm so will wear  a big puffy coat to be nice and toasty - that would be me. Neither is right or wrong - just differing points of view.There is also the factor of what you are outside doing - are you walking in the cold, waiting for a bus or just running from the house to the car and maybe into a store where your only exposed to the cold a very short time.When I used to have to wait for a bus my coat was down filled and came to my ankles, I wore a scarf and a wool knitted hat and puffy mittens, thick socks and fur lines boots. Looked ridiculous but kept warm. when I wasn't waiting for the bus a simple jacket was fine.

Thank goodness I now live in Florida and my winter coat is a simple trench coat.Actually , the trench coat I now have is from Issac and is classic in style but has tonal embroidered flowers all along the bottom. It has gotten me many compliments.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoptheQ wrote:

over tunic length tops ?  I'm talkin' Chicago winters. Puffer coats, well, they make me look "puffy". DB's TSV looks like it adds 50 pounds to all the models. 

I am short/petite - any suggestions?

@shoptheQ

I now live in southern California but grew up in Buffalo, NY, right at the edge of Lake Erie.  We got the "lake effect" winds and storm conditions and, as a result,  tended to have several coats and jackets.

So many considerations ....  if it was 35 degrees and no wind, a coat for "mild conditions" would be different from if it was 0 degrees and a wind chill factor of minus 40 degrees!   

Also depended on how long you'd be outside.    If you're going to the mall, you'd only be outside for about 1 minute running in from your car, so a light parka or car coat would be fine.

If you'd be outside for any real length of time (walking several blocks or waiting for a bus or whatever), a much warmer coat is necessary.  My sister likes hooded winter coats to protect her head & neck from strong winds.  

Personally, I used to like knee high boots and coats that covered my knees to about mid calf length.

BTW .....  good winter coats all add bulk, and most people also wear bulky sweaters etc underneath, so looking "heavier" is a given for everyone.    Warmth is the most important consideration ....  if it makes you look bulky ....  so what?   That should be the least of your concerns.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StylishLady wrote:

When it gets really chilly down here, this is my favorite coat.

MyLongCoat.jpg

Back in snowy central NY, I'd put on a pair of OTK boots, long gloves and I'd be good to trudge through the storm.

Perfect for the Florida days when the temp is not that cold, but the wind is brutal.  Leather works really well down here to me.  I have several leather jackets; black, brown, rose (dressy), & red!

If it is really cold, just add a scarf, gloves or maybe a vest underneath. 

Respected Contributor

I have never worn down coats or puffer coats because they look terrible! I usually wear dense Austrian boiled wool -- knee length, high neck, suede trimmed--and find it toasty. If I am hiking around the lake or taking a walk on the lake once it freezes ( can't wait!), I might opt for a thermal-lined knee-length fleece coat with hood. I am in my adopted northern Midwestern state, which is always windy, and we hope to finally get some cold weather this week. Love it!