Honored Contributor

Re: Vocabulary for show hosts to eliminate in 2020

@Jag03 wrote:

Who originated that "she" and "her" silliness?

@Jag03 Actually, "She" and "Her" are names used in retail at quite a few stores when referring to the customer.  I guess "she" is easier and takes less time to say than customer.

At a morning meeting, one might hear "We think she will love this new jacket.  We're putting matching gloves on the shelf beside the jacket."

Respected Contributor

I don't get upset about the verbage listed here, so much.  I do get annoyed when they portray some item as "sold out everywhere" when in fact I can go get in the store right that moment.  They try to hype things as super hot and they're the only one who have it but it's just a lie. They do it with cosmetics and beauty items a lot.  Jane threatened us months ago about how the Urban Decay honey pallette was going to sell out in minutes and it's still available and in many other places. Who believes this hype for goodness sake?

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

"........for a minute while I go crawl into the green"

and stop "elevating" everything.

curvation

"crawl into the green"..... what does that mean? what are they referencing??  the green room?  

@kittyloo 

When Amy, who often thinks she has to model every color wants to change which color she's wearing she often excuses herself from being in front of the camera while she "climbs into" her new choice of color she's going to wear. No, nothing to do w/the green room.

Esteemed Contributor

I hate when the host interrupts the vendor/designer/whatever who is giving a description of the item to say "Excuse me, what was that Bob? We only have 10,000 in red and 25,000 in blue? What sizes are available?"  

I, for one, do not care how many are left.  Let the vendor/designer speak without interruption.  Believe it or not, they know more about the product than the host and they usually aren't acting silly or making up words.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

"Dress it up...dress it down".  "Uptown Downtown". Both need to go!

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, I have to admit I'm laughing at a lot of these.  I can hear the different specific hosts using these terms as I'm reading these.  None of them really bother me at all though.  

Except one -- only order of the year.  I've heard that one too many times when it turns out to be a lie.  Unless it's the last three months of the year, QVC can and usually does squeak a new order in (which was probably sitting in their warehouse all that time).  If it's selling well, poof, it appears a couple of months later.  That sales trick does bother me.

Respected Contributor

"This will EMPOWER you."

Ugh.  Really?  A word shirt can empower me?  Never realized that.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Jag03 wrote:

Who originated that "she" and "her" silliness?

@Jag03 Actually, "She" and "Her" are names used in retail at quite a few stores when referring to the customer.  I guess "she" is easier and takes less time to say than customer.

At a morning meeting, one might hear "We think she will love this new jacket.  We're putting matching gloves on the shelf beside the jacket."

@ECBG : That makes sense.

I think though, that @Jag03  was referring to when the hosts and vendors refer to a handbag— they all have ‘names’— as if it were a person: “Look at Brenna. Isn’t she beautiful? You can carry her everywhere.” Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

And if  I hear 'this is the first time I've been able to say this....' one more time!

lol

But more than silly filler and hyperbole what really irks me are those vendors, 2 of them, that seem to feel that trashing the rest of my wardrobe to promote their wares is an acceptable sales tactic!

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

"Buy as many as you like"......did they ever limit the quantity one could buy?

I seem to recall that back in the day they did limit people to purchasing one when they had some kind of a preview price (can't remember the name of the "deal"). I think they changed that later, though.