Super Contributor

Re: Vocabulary for show hosts to eliminate in 2020

Value story

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I'm sorry, I have to admit I'm laughing at a lot of these.  I can hear the different specific hosts using these terms as I'm reading these.  None of them really bother me at all though.  

Except one -- only order of the year.  I've heard that one too many times when it turns out to be a lie.  Unless it's the last three months of the year, QVC can and usually does squeak a new order in (which was probably sitting in their warehouse all that time).  If it's selling well, poof, it appears a couple of months later.  That sales trick does bother me.

I'm with you. I know the "offenders" for most of these phrases, but they don't bother me. I don't think anything is going to change, anyway, so best to just let it go.

I don't think I've ever noticed the problem with "only order of the year." Usually, it's some sort of seasonal item and they say it won't return until the following year. I do hear some hosts say they think it's probably the only order of the year or they don't think they will be able to get any more, and that may well be a selling tactic. But when it's actually printed on the screen (which it occasionally is), it's probably true.

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Jag03 wrote:

Who originated that "she" and "her" silliness?

@Jag03 Actually, "She" and "Her" are names used in retail at quite a few stores when referring to the customer.  I guess "she" is easier and takes less time to say than customer.

At a morning meeting, one might hear "We think she will love this new jacket.  We're putting matching gloves on the shelf beside the jacket."

@ECBG : That makes sense.

I think though, that @Jag03  was referring to when the hosts and vendors refer to a handbag— they all have ‘names’— as if it were a person: “Look at Brenna. Isn’t she beautiful? You can carry her everywhere.” Lol.

@handygal2 @Jag03 Yeah, that one too!  It's like a flood!!!

Contributor

To ECBG:

Regarding the hosts using "She" and "Her". I was talking about when they use those two words when describing a garment; not when they are referring to a woman.

If the host were to use "She" and "Her" when referring to a woman, I would not find that objectionable. It is when one of them is describing a handbag, for example, and says, "She is made of all leather", that just hurts my ears!

Respected Contributor

MANY of the hosts need a lesson in grammar!!! Amy is the worst! If you are going to be on television, PLEASE know how to use "me" and "I" correctly! 

Honored Contributor

I am literally lol-ing. I think they all need to learn pantomime.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

he use of "out". Change out,etc. Out is not required .

Frequent Contributor

Also, the host saying, "I have one in every color and length

It can be used as a beach coverup. (not) They have even said that about a sweater. Not on any beach I have visited!

But now something new, you can sleep in it and then get up and go to the store, etc. 

So everything is a beach coverup or pjs. really!

Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I'm sorry, I have to admit I'm laughing at a lot of these.  I can hear the different specific hosts using these terms as I'm reading these.  None of them really bother me at all though.  

Except one -- only order of the year.  I've heard that one too many times when it turns out to be a lie.  Unless it's the last three months of the year, QVC can and usually does squeak a new order in (which was probably sitting in their warehouse all that time).  If it's selling well, poof, it appears a couple of months later.  That sales trick does bother me.

I'm with you. I know the "offenders" for most of these phrases, but they don't bother me. I don't think anything is going to change, anyway, so best to just let it go.

I don't think I've ever noticed the problem with "only order of the year." Usually, it's some sort of seasonal item and they say it won't return until the following year. I do hear some hosts say they think it's probably the only order of the year or they don't think they will be able to get any more, and that may well be a selling tactic. But when it's actually printed on the screen (which it occasionally is), it's probably true.

@jonbon  I see what you're saying.  I probably used the word "lie" inappropriately and I do rescind that.  What I do mean is that I have heard hosts use this phrase, "only order of the year," for non-seasonal items during the spring, summer, and other times that do not impact the hectic holiday season. 

My frustration is that some hosts use it as a lazy sales tactic with no regard for its accuracy.  I have heard it used specifically twice on items I have purchased myself, this year, and later seen them come back with "we were able to get more in!"  Since that can be the case, they should just stop using that pitch.

The other times are indeed liegitimate, for end of the year and seasonal items.  It's only when it's used to boost sales for a pair of jeans or a top in April, and it turns out not to be the case.  

Honored Contributor

“Elevated.” Every time l hear this, l think of the U2 song “Elevation.” Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~