Honored Contributor

Re: Vionic Orthaheel - Is anyone having a problem with their knees/legs?

One of the things I know for sure is that nothing works for everyone.

For lots of my foot problems, I have to tune out sales people and listen carefully to my podiatrist, my chiropractor, and the top fitter at my favorite orthopedic store. One look at the x-ray of my left foot would tell you why!

The PS to all that is that I actually can wear both Birkenstock and Orthaheel - sometimes and in a few styles. There's no way I can wear everything in either line, not even close. Within reason, it's all trial and error which is why when I don't buy locally from a fitter, I do buy where I know and trust the return policy.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/23/2014 donasmom said:

I have several pair of Orthaheel/Vionic and have had no problem whatsoever. I wear custom made orthodics in my shoes and during the hot summer month my Orthaheel sandals were a Godsend. My surgeon also gave me her blessing re this brand.

Ditto! My orthopedic surgeon also gave his blessing. I think it might depend upon the nature of the problem one has but I've had significant less knee pain when wearing the Orthaheel sandals in the Summer.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Frequent Contributor

You need to listen to your own body when you buy any kind of shoe that says it will correct any foot condition. I had no obvious problems with my feet and bought many pairs of Orthaheel sandals and shoes/slippers. I loved them. Until this past fall. All of a sudden I had intense pain on the outer side of my right foot. I thought I sprained my ankle although I had no recollection of ever doing so. The pain was not in a specific location, but rather shifted from about 3 inches in front of my ankle to right behind my ankle. Some days it did not bother me, other days I was in horrible pain. Stupidly I waited til early March to see the podiatrist. Long story but I have a longitudinal split tear in my peroneous buris tendon. I am walking in a boot, and face possible surgery to repair the tear. I am miserable. I am now realizing that the same pain is developing in my left ankle/ foot. I talked at length with my podiatrist and while there is no obvious cause that I can point to, it is entirely possible that wearing the Orthaheel shoes contributed to the tear, if only to make it worse. Repetitive stress on the outside of my feet has obviously not helped. My knees and hips are also starting to give me problems. The bottom line is to be very careful. I am going to throw out all of my Orthaheels to make sure that if they contributed to my problems, they won't continue to do so. I am now facing a year of recovery. Again, be careful.

Super Contributor

I looked in the mirror and they didn't straighten my leg out. I can straighten or bend my ankle to get the before and after effect they always show I the presentations. Anyone with major foot or leg problems should see a podiatrist...they will take a mold of your foot and customize orthotics for you. I have big issues with this company's sales pitch. There is no one size fits all orthotic. These are no different than the ones you buy off the rack at Walmart, and a lot more expensive,
Super Contributor

On 3/23/2014 apptini said:
On 3/23/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 3/23/2014 apptini said:

I would like to know if anyone is having a problem with Orthaheel. Especially their knees. I wore these shoes exactly like they tell you to. I have had really bad problems with one knee. I admit that I am bowlegged and have had 4 doctors tell me that wearing these shoes probably thru my knee out. They are supposed to help your leg straighten out from the ankle up but you can't straighten bow legs, and the shoes put your knees into a position that the bones don't/want to be in. You can't change the bone structure.

I was TERRIBLY{#emotions_dlg.sad} bow legged until I had both of my bone on bone knees replaced last June.At age 58, I now have wonderful new knees and STRAIGHT LEGS!!! I never could have worn these shoes when my poor bowed out knee hurt so bad. Do you have arthritis in your knees causing the bowed out knees? Have you considered knee replacement to fix it? It was a god send to me and I hate to see or hear of anyone else living with bowed legs and pain when surgeons can give you beautiful straight pain free legs! When I had bowed legs, I had to be so careful what shoes I could wear... usually ugly mary janes were all my knees would allow. Now I can wear any shoes! I also use to only wear wide leg pants to hide the ugly disfigurement of my bowed legs... no more! I wear straight legged pants and tight pants now!!! Thew away all my ugly wide leg pants!! Plus I have No pain anymore and I can walk and exercise again.

Thank you for the information. This happened last September and I'm still dealing with a knee that hurts, keeps forming fluid, and I definitely can't get down on my knees. This really does interfere with exercise, housework etc etc. There is very little arthritis in my knee, that is not the problem, torn meniscus and might have to have surgery. I'm 71 and wish I had known about that surgery years ago. Haven't worn a dress - ever.

I totally understand about wearing a dress. With my bowed legs, I only would wear a maxi. Now that I have straight legs, I still would not wear a dress that showed my knees as I have two pretty ugly scars on each knee. I would wear a dress that went to just below my knees, same for shorts. The scars are my battle scars I guess as it sure was a battle for the last 10 months of healing!Smile

Respected Contributor

Orthaheel shoes have actually helped my feet. Last summer, I developed chronic pain in one heel. I decided to try a pair of Orthaheel mules and the pain eventually went away and never returned. So that style worked for me.

Contributor

On 3/23/2014 Nikalette said: I looked in the mirror and they didn't straighten my leg out. I can straighten or bend my ankle to get the before and after effect they always show I the presentations. Anyone with major foot or leg problems should see a podiatrist...they will take a mold of your foot and customize orthotics for you. I have big issues with this company's sales pitch. There is no one size fits all orthotic. These are no different than the ones you buy off the rack at Walmart, and a lot more expensive,

There is only one problem with what some of the viewers are saying. I NEVER had a problem with my knee, I'm just bowlegged. So I didn't have an orthopedic doctor or a podiatrist before this happened. And, like "Kroppie" stated, it came on suddenly one day, my knee hurt and when I got up the next morning it was swollen to the max. I did not do anything to it, did not fall etc etc. I really don't pronate and just thought that this type of show would help my back when on my feet for a long period of time. WRONG... if I have four doctors saying to me "it was probably the shoes" then I believe them and now I might have to have surgery. I'm not a happy camper. I phone Vionic and tried to get them to put a waiver, or something, on their shoes that states, if you are bowlegged do not purchase. They said it was not their shoes, I guess my doctors don't know anything is what they are telling me.

Super Contributor

The good looking guy selling the shoes is not a doctor of feet. He is a salesman. He knows nothing about legs, knees or flat feet. He is selling shoes and is not going to say do not buy if you have A, B or C going on. They SHOULD tell us than, but, they are into money and sales, not consumer health.

Super Contributor

I'm bowlegged and used to be teased about it when I was younger. For me, Orthaheel has been a life saver. I developed Morton's Neuroma in both feet, and I need wide toe boxes and good arch support or my feet have terrible pain. Besides all of that, I discovered a side benefit of wearing them...my knees and hips no longer ache. When I was younger I never gave a thought to arch support...now every shoe I buy has to have good arch support. Unfortunately, most shoe companies really don't worry too much about arch support. Orthaheel works for me. I've got 12 pairs of their sandals and 2 pairs of their slippers. But they're not going to work for everyone...which is why Q has a 30 day return policy.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
New Contributor

I am having the same problem with a peroneal longitudinal tear. I wore the insoles in my athletic shoes for almost two years during workouts and my ankle surgeon told me the insoles were angling my foot too far to the outside and causing the tendons to overwork to stabilize. I am not as bad as you are yet, and am waiting for my custom orthotics to arrive next week. My doctor is going conservative at this time and showed me how to tape both my ankles to stabilize. I can only wear my Nikes at this time and can possibly go back to sandals in 4-6 weeks. I have over 15 pairs of Vionics which is a very large investment. I bought them to help my back which they did at the cost of my ankles. I just tried on the slippers a few minutes ago and my right ankle immediately tried to dislocate. I do not over pronate and have high arches, so these shoes may not be for someone like me.
I wish you luck in your recovery! God bless.