Contributor

Vionic Orthaheel - Is anyone having a problem with their knees/legs?

I would like to know if anyone is having a problem with Orthaheel. Especially their knees. I wore these shoes exactly like they tell you to. I have had really bad problems with one knee. I admit that I am bowlegged and have had 4 doctors tell me that wearing these shoes probably thru my knee out. They are supposed to help your leg straighten out from the ankle up but you can't straighten bow legs, and the shoes put your knees into a position that the bones don't/want to be in. You can't change the bone structure.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vionic Orthaheel - Is anyone having a problem with their knees/legs?

Here's my take on these shoes. I've ordered so many pair of them and most I have had to send back due to knee and back pain.

I have a very bad back to start with so I'm not blaming Orthaheels for that. Get that straight now.

I think some people are flat footed like I am. That's what's wrong with the girl they keep showing. She pronates inward (like I do an many of my family members do). I have a daughter that pronates so badly we took her to Children's hospital when she was little. We had to have special shoes made for her.

However, only one of my feet pronates inward (for that foot, I need something that gives support like orthaheel.

When I wear both of those shoes my knees hurt worse, my back is worse, the entire body is hurting.

The best thing I do I that I have had inserts professionally made for my shoes. The problem is they don't work well with sandals.

For me Birkenstock shoes works. I own over 100 pairs of Birkenstock shoes. i realize they are expensive and most people can't afford them.

I am just saying that might be why some people love these Orthaheels and some people can't wear them.

If you have two flat feet or two feet that pronate inward (like the young model) then they work good for you.

My experiment is unscientific, just my experiences.

Super Contributor

On 3/23/2014 apptini said:

I would like to know if anyone is having a problem with Orthaheel. Especially their knees. I wore these shoes exactly like they tell you to. I have had really bad problems with one knee. I admit that I am bowlegged and have had 4 doctors tell me that wearing these shoes probably thru my knee out. They are supposed to help your leg straighten out from the ankle up but you can't straighten bow legs, and the shoes put your knees into a position that the bones don't/want to be in. You can't change the bone structure.

I was TERRIBLY{#emotions_dlg.sad} bow legged until I had both of my bone on bone knees replaced last June.At age 58, I now have wonderful new knees and STRAIGHT LEGS!!! I never could have worn these shoes when my poor bowed out knee hurt so bad. Do you have arthritis in your knees causing the bowed out knees? Have you considered knee replacement to fix it? It was a god send to me and I hate to see or hear of anyone else living with bowed legs and pain when surgeons can give you beautiful straight pain free legs! When I had bowed legs, I had to be so careful what shoes I could wear... usually ugly mary janes were all my knees would allow. Now I can wear any shoes! I also use to only wear wide leg pants to hide the ugly disfigurement of my bowed legs... no more! I wear straight legged pants and tight pants now!!! Thew away all my ugly wide leg pants!! Plus I have No pain anymore and I can walk and exercise again.

Super Contributor

I got the sleepers. Wore them for a couple of weeks then one day not sure what happened I v Couldn't use my right leg the pain was excruciating went to the er dr said I had a bakers cyst. I never had a problem until I started wearing these. It took me 3 months to heal needless to say into the garbage they went.
Honored Contributor

Yes I've had Baker's cysts too. Don't know if the shoes caused it (kind of doubt it) but you never know.

I do agree that they are very painful.

Honored Contributor

I have read on this forum that this brand is good only for a specific foot type and that it can cause problems for everyone else.

Contributor

On 3/23/2014 gazelle77 said:

I was TERRIBLY{#emotions_dlg.sad} bow legged until I had both of my bone on bone knees replaced last June.At age 58, I now have wonderful new knees and STRAIGHT LEGS!!! I never could have worn these shoes when my poor bowed out knee hurt so bad. Do you have arthritis in your knees causing the bowed out knees? Have you considered knee replacement to fix it? It was a god send to me and I hate to see or hear of anyone else living with bowed legs and pain when surgeons can give you beautiful straight pain free legs! When I had bowed legs, I had to be so careful what shoes I could wear... usually ugly mary janes were all my knees would allow. Now I can wear any shoes! I also use to only wear wide leg pants to hide the ugly disfigurement of my bowed legs... no more! I wear straight legged pants and tight pants now!!! Thew away all my ugly wide leg pants!! Plus I have No pain anymore and I can walk and exercise again.

Thank you for the information. This happened last September and I'm still dealing with a knee that hurts, keeps forming fluid, and I definitely can't get down on my knees. This really does interfere with exercise, housework etc etc. There is very little arthritis in my knee, that is not the problem, torn meniscus and might have to have surgery. I'm 71 and wish I had known about that surgery years ago. Haven't worn a dress - ever.

Contributor

On 3/23/2014 willdob3 said:

I have read on this forum that this brand is good only for a specific foot type and that it can cause problems for everyone else.

Do you remember where you read that, I would like to go and look at it. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

On 3/23/2014 willdob3 said:

Do you remember where you read that, I would like to go and look at it. Thanks so much.

No, just that it was on a few threads here that were discussing Orthaheel. I wish I remembered specific threads. I'm not sure but maybe some reviews on them might mention it. It might be worth checking them.

I don't own any because, when they first came out, I wore a wide shoe & they did not come in wide. Then, later, after reading reviews, I realized they would not have been good for my feet anyway.

Super Contributor

I have several pair of Orthaheel/Vionic and have had no problem whatsoever. I wear custom made orthodics in my shoes and during the hot summer month my Orthaheel sandals were a Godsend. My surgeon also gave me her blessing re this brand.