Honored Contributor

Re: Victoria Secret's new campaign featuring Megan Rapinoe...

@Sooner wrote:

On the other hand, everyone must have people exactly like them to feel good about themselves?  Seems to me that we are simply pulling people apart by checking boxes rather than looking at everyone for the person they are.

Rather than aiming at seeing each as an individual, we must see ethnicity now as a difference.  We seem to be going backward in some sense to me.

Instead of saying it doesn't matter, we are saying we must see it and put the person in a box.  I thought it wasn't supposed to matter in how we treat one another, now it is mandated to matter.  

What would you do differently to "look at everyone for the person they are," when some people have never had a platform before? @Sooner 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

On the other hand, everyone must have people exactly like them to feel good about themselves?  Seems to me that we are simply pulling people apart by checking boxes rather than looking at everyone for the person they are.

Rather than aiming at seeing each as an individual, we must see ethnicity now as a difference.  We seem to be going backward in some sense to me.

Instead of saying it doesn't matter, we are saying we must see it and put the person in a box.  I thought it wasn't supposed to matter in how we treat one another, now it is mandated to matter.  

What would you do differently to "look at everyone for the person they are," when some people have never had a platform before? @Sooner 

@suzyQ3 Platforms have been available and used.  Platforms don't solve one thing.  Only when people start accepting other people for the person they are will anything change.  

You can't legislate it, you can't mandate it, you can't make people like one another.  You have to do it on a person by person basis.  And there has to be a willingness to accept others for who they are.  All is see is preaching about divisiveness.  Looking back and blaming people who weren't born long ago.  Seeing things in people today who are very different from then.

Bad apples?  Yeah.  And enough to go around on all sides.  We're all just people. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

It's about time!

I agree. Megan Rapinoe was in SI a few years back, along with other US soccer team members. They have amazing figures, and amazing athletic achievements.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

I haven't shopped there since my 20's, but it sounds like a smart move for them to start incorporating a variety of body types into their advertising. It won't make me shop there, but obviously they target the under-40 women anyway. 

Honored Contributor

The Angels were fun, and when I did watch the "show" I always enjoyed the music! It was fun to see a supermodel like Heidi Klum wear a bra worth thousands! I don't think many average people actually BOUGHT the runway fashions, but it was just fun.

The quality has gone downhill. We'll see how the sales are with the new crew. I highly doubt they will be better- unless Nick Jonas buys the entire store, and he could!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 Platforms have been available and used.  Platforms don't solve one thing.  Only when people start accepting other people for the person they are will anything change.  

You can't legislate it, you can't mandate it, you can't make people like one another.  You have to do it on a person by person basis.  And there has to be a willingness to accept others for who they are.  All is see is preaching about divisiveness.  Looking back and blaming people who weren't born long ago.  Seeing things in people today who are very different from then.

Bad apples?  Yeah.  And enough to go around on all sides.  We're all just people. 

Obviously I have the opposite view, @Sooner. I wish it were just a matter of accepting people as they are.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

They never have had a decent range of bra sizes in stock. I hope they add in some real world bras that are comfortable and accommodate many sizes. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure if we still have a store or not.  I still wear their panties, but they have gone way downhill in quality as well as skimpiness.  The High Cut Brief still claims to sit "at the belly button" when it's actually WAY lower than that, more like a bikini.  I still have a couple pair of the old quality panties that were much higher quality AND didn't have side seams.  I don't still wear them.  I just have them upstairs in my sewing room to use as a pattern.  

They also used to sell some nice clothing before they started putting VS on everything for the world to see.  I have a pair of pants that I absolutely love because they fit the tush perfectly and the fit on the thighs and the flare of the bottom is perfect for me.  If I can ever figure that one out I'll be making my own pants.  

I could never wear their bras.  I doubt any of their Angels were actually A-Cups.  I actually got sneered at in their store once right after it opened when I went in looking for a bra in their catalog that actually was an A-Cup and she shows me two training bras and said that was all they had in an A.  But, when they did expand their lineup of A-Cup bras, I still was left out since they are all designed for narrow people.  I'm built wide, not fat, so the cups are in the wrong place for my frame.

I couldn't care less about Angels or spokespeople.  That is not what people are going to spend their money on.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Obviously I have the opposite view, @Sooner. I wish it were just a matter of accepting people as they are.

@suzyQ3  If we come to people with pre-conveived ideas about them because of their gender, race, religion, etc. we are going to interpret what they do and say with respect to what we think of them beforehand.

What we are doing now just seems to further the view that people are alike because of what category we lump them into, rather than who that person is in truth.  We are focusing on who people what, what happened in the past rather than who each person is today.  

It's wrong. Nothing will be helped unless we focus on the individual.  Each of us is a unique quilt of our own life experiences, hopes, dreams and facts.  Good and bad and wonderful and wise comes in all packages. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a fan of Rapinoe, but then I haven't bought anything from VS for years....and have no plans to do so in the future. It's a non-event for me.