Honored Contributor

Re: Victoria Secret now includes models larger than a size 2......

@tends2dogs wrote:

This whole "inclusive" thing is getting out of hand.  Sorry, but this girl does not look good in that bathing suit and if she thinks she does......sad. I doubt that VS thinks she does either, but they have to be PC.   I am all for plus sized models, but put them in something that doesn't make them look ridiculous or desperate.  There could have been a better choice.  This is unfortunate.

The model is beautiful, but perhaps a one piece would have been more flattering for her figure @tends2dogs ?

Esteemed Contributor

She is quite pretty but I agree with others, a one piece suit would have been more appropriate.   It's like having to look at those European guys who wear the Speedo's and have their belly hanging over it.........I'm sure some of them are quite handsome, so again wear something that fits you to flatter you, JMO.

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree, it’s about time they start showing plus size models.  By the way, even those of us who are Size 2 have figure flaws.  Not everything looks great on us.  You have to dress for your shape not only your size.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.  Most doctors would agree. 

Retailers should carry large sizes, but I disagree with this just as strongly as I disagree with skinny models who look anorexic.  Some have admitted bulimia.  

I lost a sweet, loving, nephew a few years ago from being overweight, not what I'd call obese.  At 6' 5", he looked like he could carry it.  He was fairly active, ate nutritious food, and he thought he was in good health, but died from a fatty liver caused by eating too much over a period of time. 

Last summer, my neighbor told me she was diagnosed with a fatty liver and had to lose 50 lbs.  It scared her, so she went on a diet and lost 40 lbs so far.   Her blood pressure came down to where she no longer has to take meds.  

I don't mean to be cruel to anyone with a weight problem...hey, I've been counting calories since 7th grade to keep my weight down.  It's not easy.

I do know there are different reasons that cause overweight.  My mother gained 40 pounds from a medication she had been taking.  She lost the weight when a new drug was introduced.  There may be medical conditions...such as hypothyroidism that can be treated.

It may be depression, boredom.  Inactivity...sitting at a job all day not using up the calories consumed.  Age...basal metabolisms slow down as we age.  Sadly, there are those who can't be active anymore.  Low calorie meals might be the answer.   

If VS wants to go in this direction, I think a skirted one-piece version would look better on this model.   

Esteemed Contributor

The bikini bottoms this past year have gotten even more teeny tiny than ever.

They are cut deeply into the crotch area and have little strings of fabric going up to the waist so the entire hip and butt area are also on display. What's next? Dental floss perhaps?

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

This whole "inclusive" thing is getting out of hand.  Sorry, but this girl does not look good in that bathing suit and if she thinks she does......sad. I doubt that VS thinks she does either, but they have to be PC.   I am all for plus sized models, but put them in something that doesn't make them look ridiculous or desperate.  There could have been a better choice.  This is unfortunate.

@tends2dogs   I totally agree....a one piece swimsuit please. BTW, I stopped setting foot in VS decades ago. I think their ideas about women are outdated...the poses in the catalog and the VS Fashion Shows? Really?!?!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I think it's promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.  Most doctors would agree. 

Retailers should carry large sizes, but I disagree with this just as strongly as I disagree with skinny models who look anorexic.  Some have admitted bulimia.  

I lost a sweet, loving, nephew a few years ago from being overweight, not what I'd call obese.  At 6' 5", he looked like he could carry it.  He was fairly active, ate nutritious food, and he thought he was in good health, but died from a fatty liver caused by eating too much over a period of time. 

Last summer, my neighbor told me she was diagnosed with a fatty liver and had to lose 50 lbs.  It scared her, so she went on a diet and lost 40 lbs so far.   Her blood pressure came down to where she no longer has to take meds.  

I don't mean to be cruel to anyone with a weight problem...hey, I've been counting calories since 7th grade to keep my weight down.  It's not easy.

I do know there are different reasons that cause overweight.  My mother gained 40 pounds from a medication she had been taking.  She lost the weight when a new drug was introduced.  There may be medical conditions...such as hypothyroidism that can be treated.

It may be depression, boredom.  Inactivity...sitting at a job all day not using up the calories consumed.  Age...basal metabolisms slow down as we age.  Sadly, there are those who can't be active anymore.  Low calorie meals might be the answer.   

If VS wants to go in this direction, I think a skirted one-piece version would look better on this model.   

One of the most eloquent posts I have read anywhere on the subject of obesity @Foxxee . I am very sorry for loss of your nephew...

Honored Contributor

Simply put...no.  Living in Hawaii, I see it all the time.  Bikinis look best on skinnier women...period.  I won't lie...I'm a heifer and I would NEVER dress like that.  I love my tankinis.  They cover up what needs to be covered up & still look cute while frolicking on the beach.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@tends2dogs   I agree.  While the bra looks nice on her, I'm not crazy about the bikini bottom.  I'm thinner than her but still wouldn't have my belly hanging out.  However many seem to feel that this is okay, PC it is.

They are likely a younger crowd as well.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

When I saw that ad, my first thought was: "Not the suit for you".  I am about 20 pounds overweight, and looking at thin models sometimes makes me forget for a moment that I would not look like they do.  Seeing the way this model looks would lead me away for sure.