Honored Contributor

Very short tops out right now

This may have already been addressed but thought I'd post about it.  The few stores I have been in lately all feature these very, very short, crop kind of tops.  I mean, a lot of them!  I guess this is a new fashion.  Just like the jeans have gone to the wider legs --- again!  I remember ages ago the much shorter tops were in and so if you didn't like them or were not of an age to wear them, it was harder to find cute tops in regular lengths.  I was in target for instance yesterday and I saw a few really cute tops and sweaters that I really liked but when I unfolded them, they looked like "half" tops!  Nope -- those days for me are long over!  I know that fads come and go but just wondered what you thought about them?  I know I did like them many, many. years ago!!  Oh, and of course, the stores are full of those, what I would call, micro short-shorts!  Yikes!  Full exposure is I would think something one would have to be careful to avoid when wearing them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Very short tops out right now

Do you mean bare midriff tops? I wore those back in the 1970s when I was in my twenties with young skin and a slim figure!

If you mean tops that stop at the waist, yes those are too short for me as well. I prefer them to at least cover the stomach area and come down to the upper hips. 

I find so many tops here to be very long. I don't like when they are too long either.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 are you wandering to the Juniors dept in the store? I have doubts that  crop tops and micro shorts are in tbe Womens/Misses section

Honored Contributor

Cropped tops make me look fat and dumpy. They end at a point that is the worst for me.

They are cute on young people who are skinny and fit. No one else looks good in cropped tops. 

Honored Contributor

Those short tops are great for me. I am so short that they fall to my waist or slightly below.

Honored Contributor

There have been numerous complaints here about longer and tunic length tops and lack of short tops.   

Becareful what you wish for................

I am so happy that wider leg jeans are back, very tired of the skinny jeans and I dont like them as much as the wider legs.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

IMO, when jeans and pants began being high waisted, then came the shorter tops. 

I like many tops that are cropped on others but on my petite 5' frame, they are hip length. I watch proportions: long over short or tight over loose, etc. 

BTW, Talbots, Banana Republic, J Crew and Ann Taylor, although expensive, have a variety of length tops. The clothing is more expensive, but I purchase very little and like the simple styling at these stores.

Trusted Contributor

When pant waists rise, shirt hems rise. It's about proportion. Most people wearing high waisted trousers don't want a lot of bulk to tuck. A shorter top is easier to style and looks more proportionate.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

I have a long torso and fortunately have plenty of tops.

For casual wear, I buy men’s medium size t-shirts. For sweaters, I can make my own.

Trusted Contributor

You can wear a fitted tank underneath the shorter length sweater....