Regular Contributor

Very disappointed in Diane Gilman

I don't normally vent on here but I was really irritated today watching Diane Gilman on HSN.

She went on about how it's so much better to listen to her on TV describing a product than going to a retail store and having to deal with the people who work there. She said that they don't know anything and don't care about the products...etc. How insulting to people who work in stores!  Has she even forgotten that some of her own products are sold in B&M stores?

I was tempted to buy some of her products but not now.  No thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Very disappointed in Diane Gilman

Years ago my Mom used to love her fashions, she bought them at our local Hecht's store which is now Macys. 

Honored Contributor

Are her clothes sold in stores too?

Honored Contributor

She irritates the heck out of me, rambling on and on about nothing.  I can't watch her.  Nobody will ever accuse her of not being arrogant.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Diane must live in my area.  Yep, that describes the employees to a T.... all except the employees at Talbots and Christopher and Banks.

Respected Contributor

GenXMuse

No. They're not.

Regular Contributor

In the metro Detroit area they were sold at Christopher and Banks stores but I just looked at their site and I don't see them listed.  I guess not anymore.

Respected Contributor

@lovethgedress wrote:

I don't normally vent on here but I was really irritated today watching Diane Gilman on HSN.

She went on about how it's so much better to listen to her on TV describing a product than going to a retail store and having to deal with the people who work there. She said that they don't know anything and don't care about the products...etc. How insulting to people who work in stores!  Has she even forgotten that some of her own products are sold in B&M stores?

I was tempted to buy some of her products but not now.  No thanks.

It's a sales tactic just like when they say "in the real world" as if it's not.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's nothing more than a sales tactic, but....

I never found the average sales girls on the floor to be that knowledgeable at all.  Of course, there are always exceptions. 

For me, the advantage of shopping in a store is being able to see the item, feel the fabric, look at the label, and try it on. 

Some of the higher end stores have special departments with a few gals who are much more knowledgeable about the brands sold in the store and what would look good on the customer. They will help buyers choose and may or may not be walking around the floors.  Usually, buyers must ask for their help.  

I can use QVC's CS department vs their Social Team as examples to make the point.  The CS dept handles the basics, but the Social Team, also functioning as CS, is more specialized.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like her. She's my era.

a lot  of "them" (qvc/hsn vendors & hosts)

make claims that s-t-r-e-a-t-c-h & embellish the truth