Respected Contributor

Using Contrast Colors & Textures

Over the last several years, my form of dressing has evolved to where I dress less matchy matchy and instead I look to incorporate contrast colors and textures. I was viewing some pictures on the Kensington Palace's twitter page and I found this recent picture of Meghan Markle.

I happened to wear a very similar outfit a few weeks ago with boots instead of pumps but it exemplifies my current style to a T. I'm so glad I am at a place where I feel very grown up, polished and sophisticated everywhere I go.

I Just wanted to share since the pic embodies my idea that one shouldn't think of any color as a Fall or Spring color etc. Colors and textures form a palette and they should be matched to complement each other forming in turn an interesting outfit.

Meghan Markle Constrasting Colors Belfast March 2018.jpg

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Contrast Colors & Textures

I think you're quite right, @NycVixen

Texture in particular is all-important and not given enough importance.  

That coat is quite graceful.  I have no doubt you looked equally elegant.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Thanks @GingerPeach Heart. I did feel quite elegant. That drape front silhouette is one of my favorites. I love the hunter green color paired with lighter colors. Many people believe it is strictly a Fall color and IMO that is not the case. Green is one of my favorite colors as well as Cognac. They go so well together.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I've always had the impression that you are quite chic, @NycVixen, both from what you say and by how you say it.

I also think some are a bit too rigid in assigning color (and other things) to restrictive categories.  Fall colors only in fall; summer colors only in summer - but without regard for personal differences, regional differences, or even individual likes.    

By the way, "Live with Intention" is a marvelous, and most important, motto.  I know that it actually works.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here you can see the entire outfit. Beautiful use of color and texture. I wore a midi skirt as well. I wore dressy boots that also paired back with the bag in a Cognac color.

Meghan Markle Contrast Colors 2.jpg

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the full length picture.  I couldn't find it online!

With that wind blowing, and as it's still March, it seems to me boots are the better option.  Boots seem to provide a more finished look at times, too.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so much @GingerPeach!  Fashion has been a big part of my life from an early age. My DH was taken but rather uncomfortable with it at first. He felt I was overdressed whenever we went out.

10 years later, he's considered the stylish one in his office. He has come a long way and he no longer feels that I nor he looks out of place. He dresses for himself and he's able to put some very handsome outfits together on his own now. He also works with texture and patterns.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen

There's not a lot of variety (colorwise) in my wardrobe nor prints. Mainly dark shades like black, gray, navy, green.... I treat texture as I would  a print.

Honored Contributor

Green is in every pallette.  The difference is between yellow or blue notes.  I LOVE my forest green which is very hard to find, and also true emerald green which I love.Smiley Happy

I can't do camo though.  Way too yellow for me.  My face gets a green hue.

Honored Contributor

I love the entire outfit Meghan was wearing that day. They visited Belfast in Northern Ireland. Maybe that's why she wore the green skirt 🍀

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"