Honored Contributor

Re: Use of "color" words to describe items

Some people look for reasons to condemn, complain or criticize.  Just think of the 3 C's next time you find something so mundane that someone is upset about.  

Honored Contributor

Just noticed that item A273749, a Gili bag featured on Shawn's show this evening comes in nude snake.  Do you think anyone would object to a nude snake or should it be clothed?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Eliana wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That's what I used to think, but I was wrong.  @CaryH is correct.

In the visible spectrum, white reflects light and is a presence of all colors, but black absorbs light and is an absence of color. Black can be defined as the visual impression experienced when no visible light reaches the eye. 

That's not what they taught at Drexel University when I attended.  It's a premier school of science and engineering in Philly.  Your definition doesn't make sense.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The answers:
1. Black is the absence of color (and is therefore not a color)

Explanation:
When there is no light, everything is black. Test this out by going into a photographic dark room. There are no photons of light. In other words, there are no photons of colors.

2. White is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Explanation:
Light appears colorless or white. Sunlight is white light that is composed of all the colors of the spectrum.  A rainbow is proof. You can't see the colors of sunlight except when atmospheric conditions bend the light rays and create a rainbow. You can also use a prism to demonstrate this.

Fact: The sum of all the colors of light add up to white. This is additive color theory.

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors

For goodness sakes, we learned about prisms in Pollyanna when we were little girls. Of course white is made up of all colors, that is precisely why rainbows happen. So much for your "premier university" Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Some people are too dense to realize that's the name of a color and doesn't describe the state of the person wearing it.  She must lead a sheltered life, because "nude" has been used to describe skin color for eons.

Whose skin color would that be, exactly? Do you really think beige looks "nude" on a woman of color?

The people who use "nude" to describe beige are the ones who live a sheltered life. But maybe they're just too dense to realize that.

Honored Contributor

'nude', as a description of color, is different for everyone but that doesn't mean I don't know exactly what color it is when the term is used...

Honored Contributor

white is ALL colors (color as light)  Black is absence of color.

Red Green Blue

Now white is a color in light color theory.  In pigmented color theory, black is a color because you cannot make white from all the colors.  So it can be confusing

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I think it was that the color refered to a certain skin tone.

Christian Louboutin's nude flats

@Iwantcoffee

I think having various skin colors in flats or any shoe is a great idea. We all know wearing a shoe color close to your skin tone is elongating so having more choices for more skin tones is great. At the same time I am not offended by the word nude being used to describe the color of a shoe. 

Honored Contributor

Anyone who complains about it this really needs to get a life. Talk about a non-issue. Seriously.