Respected Contributor

Re: Use of "color" words to describe items

I think the term "nude" should be avoided in describing a color. As others have pointed out, skin tones vary remarkably.

(Doesn't anyone remember the controversy when Crayola finally changed the name of the crayon formerly known as "flesh"?)

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

And I thought nothing could leave me speechless.................

It's called the dumbing down of America.  It's real, and it's scary.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not offended by the words nude, black or white, it's just a description of color in fashion, not someone's skin color.  In fact, the word white in fashion can be very disappointing if ordering online as sometimes it ends up being more off white.  I love the nude shades though by any name that describes the great neutral color.  People are just out to be offended by something, why not the word 'nude' .

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't consider increasing specificity of language/vocabulary as "dumbing down", but I can't tell from your post what you're referring to.

Could you elaborate about this specific context? 

Honored Contributor

But we all can see, I hope, that if language is exclusionary it doesn't serve the purpose that language is designed to serve, i.e., to convey a thought or concept or idea.

My coloring is not "nude". My coloring is my grandmother's Irish coloring, white as chalk with roses in my cheeks in good weather.

"Nude" or "flesh" as adjectives describing color don't do the job that adjectives are supposed to do. 

As a non-dumb downed society, we can do better.

Regular Contributor

Technically speaking, WHITE is all the colors combined and BLACK is the absence of color.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I don't consider increasing specificity of language/vocabulary as "dumbing down", but I can't tell from your post what you're referring to.

Could you elaborate about this specific context? 

Good post, violann.

I also don't feel it is "dumbing down" to consider diversity when we use descriptive words in our speech.  I honestly think the one size fits all nude description of yesterday to be the epitome of  dumb.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I've also seen bras and underpants advertised as nude and I often wonder, nude to who?

You are so right, nude is a different color for everyone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaryH wrote:

Technically speaking, WHITE is all the colors combined and BLACK is the absence of color.

@CaryH  You've got it reversed.  White is the absence of color and black is a combo of color.

All I know is when someone describes a nude shoe, I know exactly what they're talking about.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CaryH wrote:

@CaryH  You've got it reversed.  White is the absence of color and black is a combo of color.

All I know is when someone describes a nude shoe, I know exactly what they're talking about.

That's what I used to think, but I was wrong.  @CaryH is correct.

In the visible spectrum, white reflects light and is a presence of all colors, but black absorbs light and is an absence of color. Black can be defined as the visual impression experienced when no visible light reaches the eye.