Honored Contributor

I found this definition online at leaf dot tv:

Upscale attire might be an unfamiliar fashion term to many people. As the phrase implies, upscale attire usually means dressing a cut above shorts, T-shirts and casual jeans. However, upscale attire does not mean putting on a suit and tie for men or putting on a business suit with a skirt or a pantsuit for women. Upscale attire usually refers to dressing for occasions that take place outside the office.

-----------------------------------------

So - apparently, there are upscale casual, upscale office, etc., etc.,

Honored Contributor

Re: Upscale fashions

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe 

I would be happy to share my definition of "upscale" fashion.

There are tiers of quality in fashion as there are anything else.   

The elements in upscale fashion have quality and attention to detail that are much loved.  Natural fibers often dominate and/or good seam treatment or French seams,beautifull attention to detail, and wonderful style that "works" in our lives for years.

Of course, these items come with a higher price tag because their materials and process is expensive and are thought to last and last.

As far as brands you might list (price points vary as fabrics do)

Talbots

Ralph Lauren

Eileen Fisher

Most items fromDillards

Most items fromNordstrom

High tier Designers Channel and others.

The opposite is "fast fashion", quite a lot of manmade fabrics that are often uncomfortable to wear and are not responsibly sourced.  This fashion may have a new collection every one to two weeks.

Some of these items are washed a few times and lose their color or shrink with line drying.  

Large discount houses get their overflow along with the overflow of some nice items because they are sold in "lots", not individual items.  By the time they reach clearance, they may have been sold 3 or more times. 

If you would like to get into "Fast Fashion" I suggest you go to Justine Leconte's blog where as a genuine designer and Parsons graduate, for a full discussion.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG my impression is that "fast fashion" is not necessarily durable, because it is not intended to last.  so no need to survive multiple washings...  I think it is just meant for fun.

Honored Contributor

Re: Upscale fashions

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

I would be happy to share my definition of "upscale" fashion.

There are tiers of quality in fashion as there are anything else.   

The elements in upscale fashion have quality and attention to detail that are much loved.  Natural fibers often dominate and/or good seam treatment or French seams, beautifil attention to detail, and wonderful style that "works" in our lives for years.

Of course, these items come with a higher price tag because their materials and process is expensive and are thought to last and last.

As far as brands you might list (price points vary as fabrics do)

Talbots

Ralph Lauren

Eileen Fisher

Most items from Dillards

Most items from Nordstrom

High tier Designers Channel and others.

The opposite is "fast fashion", quite a lot of manmade fabrics that are often uncomfortable to wear and are not responsibly sourced.  This fashion may have a new collection every one to two weeks.

Some of these items are washed a few times and lose their color or shrink with line drying.  

Large discount houses get their overflow along with the overflow of some nice items because they are sold in "lots", not individual items.  By the time they reach clearance, they may have been sold 3 or more times. 

If you would like to get into "Fast Fashion" I suggest you go to Justine Leconte's blog where as a genuine designer and Parsons graduate, for a full discussion.

Chanel is waaaay out of my budget but I agree. I think with Ralph Lauren his high end line at Saks is very different than what is sold at Macy's. 

Thank you for recommending Justine's blog. I started watching her a few years ago on YouTube when you first recommended her @ECBG . She is very educated in all areas of the fashion industry.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@ECBG my impression is that "fast fashion" is not necessarily durable, because it is not intended to last.  so no need to survive multiple washings...  I think it is just meant for fun.

@NYCLatinaMe 

A lot of people have closets of fast fashions.  FF is quite an industry.  I think with your law background you would find Justine's  discussion quite the eye opener.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I totally agree about Ralph Lauren's tiers.  

Channel is lovely.  I don't think I have ever loved a jacket $5,000 worth! 

Fashion is like a merry go round.  One jumps on at the price point best for you, but I think we need to keep our eyes open and be responsible.

Watch Fast Fashion by Justine.  Many consumers have been shopping with closed eyes.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 

Fashion is like a merry go round.  One jumps on at the price point best for you, but I think we need to keep our eyes open and be responsible.

Watch Fast Fashion by Justine.  Many consumers have been shopping with closed eyes.

Would you consider QVC clothing fast fashion @ECBG ?Or just places like Zara, H&M and Uniqlo? What constitutes fast fashion? I have always been confused by the definition.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Trinity11 

Would you consider QVC clothing fast fashion @ECBG ?Or just places like Zara, H&M and Uniqlo? What constitutes fast fashion? I have always been confused by the definition.

@Trinity11 , Personally, I think the cotton lines here are good for what they are.  I don't get some of their pricing with the volume they sell.  I think the profit margin is quite high.

Q definally fills a large need.  I think you did get some of the fast fashion companies. 

I would still refer you to Justine's fast fashion, because of her extensive research.

Trusted Contributor

@PreKteacher wrote:

I'm really not a fahionista, but I think "upscale" means quality details. The other day I was watching Isaac, and they were presenting a wool coat that had no color, no cuffs, and no lining. It looked unfinished to me, but they were trying to sell it as being a sleek and clean design. I think an upscale coat would have a nice collar, lining in a beautiful fabric, and either cuffs or nicely finished sleeves, and beautiful buttons, at least! 

@PreKteacher for somebody who doesn't consider herself a fashionista you've nailed this ! 

Esteemed Contributor

Upscale fashion to me means attention to detail. If the garment is lined (such as a coat or jacket), the lining fabric lays smoothly against the coat without excess fabric that bunches up. The buttons are the right size and the button holes are bound (is that the right term?). The seams are tightly finished, and the fabric is a higher quality, e.g., wool, silk, cotton. I know it when I see it, as do the rest of you.