Esteemed Contributor

We have had posts recently about upscale materials and fashions.  And I was thinking, what do you consider upscale?  How would you define it.  It would be great to see and read about examples.  I suspect many of us define this differently.

Honored Contributor

I LOVE Dillards.  All of their items are good quality, even their house brands.

Most companie's house brands are extremely inexpensive and launder badly.

Honored Contributor

I think you know quality when you see and feel it. It's hard to define in words.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I think you know quality when you see and feel it. It's hard to define in words.

@QVCkitty1 

Agree.  Quality depends on the person and the price point.

Valued Contributor

That's a good topic/question! As said by @NYCLatinaMe , most of us will have a different idea as to what constitutes upscale. If I'm purchasing something I consider to be upscale, I prefer natural fibers (as opposed to synthetic). Other things I consider include the origin of the garment and the reputation of customer service from the store (or company). With the actual garment, I look for strong stitching (with good thread), quality/sturdy zippers, buttons, etc. I think when a piece is well made, it should fit nicely and lay and move well when worn. 

Super Contributor

Re: Upscale fashions

[ Edited ]

I'm really not a fahionista, but I think "upscale" means quality details. The other day I was watching Isaac, and they were presenting a wool coat that had no collar, no cuffs, and no lining. It looked unfinished to me, but they were trying to sell it as being a sleek and clean design. I think an upscale coat would have a nice collar, lining in a beautiful fabric, and either cuffs or nicely finished sleeves, and beautiful buttons, at least! 

Respected Contributor

Upscale usually means the finest fabrics - usually natural such as wool, cotton. linen, silk, etc.  Also, included is fine tailoring, excess material, and designer details such as drapping, princess seaming, pleating, folding, dramatic sleeves and/or other designer details including unusual muted colors, or bold saturated colors with distinct textures, and combinations of textures, cloths, etc.

You know it immediately when you see it.  Costs are much higher and are worth it for the garments' longevity, etc.

Honored Contributor

I'd say places like Bergdorf Goodman.

I receive email newsletters from them, and, yes, definitely upscale, imo.

The styles shown call out 'upscale'. 

I've noticed that 'upscale' places/stores show quite a few higher waisted items. 

Just looks 'classy' the way the pants hang, etc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The most important thing to me is how the material feels when I touch it.  That is what makes me buy an item.  Upscale does not always met that criteria and upscale doesn't always mean quality, just means expensive.

I do want an item that feels good, looks good and is well made - that is more important to me than "upscale".

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe    I describe upscale clothing as excellent fabrics used and  craftsmanship.  Also, the designer and the pricing. A lot of the time you have to wait for sales to purchase the clothes unless you have an unlimited budget.

kindness is strength