Super Contributor

Upper arms in garments too narrow

I have purchased jackets in several different brands over the last year where the upper arms are too narrow to wear over another sleeve. I am a 1x but i don't think my arms are really out of prop for my size.  Are they saving a buck or two by cutting the sleeves narrower?  Why has it suddenly become a problem?  I have seen other reviews about this, in particular Isaac's plush back jackets which I love otherwise. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Upper arms in garments too narrow

I’m experiencing the same problem.  I wear a small, and I have had problems even finding a blouse without the sleeves being too tight. 

Honored Contributor

I buy my clothes from QVC and so far have not run into the arms on clothing being too tight. I wear a small or med. on top depending on the garment measurement in the bust.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s not just jackets. The elbow length sleeves are terrible. The material is cut like a stove pipe with no shape. 

Short sleeve shirt sleeves are sometimes cut so they are about 1/2 inch under the arm. Uncomfortable!

I wear a medium and have a problem, sometimes have to go to large. 

That’s why  I’m keeping my old clothes and coats, they fit!

Respected Contributor

That has been the main reason for most of my returns and limited purchases!

Super Contributor

I ordered 6 elbow length tops that were great but the D&C ones I bought this year have longer, tighter sleeves. I am only 5'3" so these elbow length sleeves are actually below my elbow and are uncomfortable when I bend my elbow. 3 /4 length comes enough below the elbow so it doesn't bunch up when I bend my arm. So, I loved last year version but may not but I'm the future.
Honored Contributor

I guess they must think since the fabric is knit and stretches, they can cut it narrow...not!

Honored Contributor

So far I have not experienced your problem with sleeves. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have that problem with some jackets too, I always attributed it to thick arms since I lost 170lbs over the years.  But my younger sister also has that problem and she's a size 6 and has never had any weight issues.  I don't think it's about saving money and I dont have the problem with every jacket or blazer, just some.  I think it's some designers just cut their sleeves a bit narrower.  I find the same thing with pants.  I cannot wear Isacc's slim pants in my true size because the thighs are too tight.  I have no problem with slim pants in other brands.  

Honored Contributor

Yes!  I have been having this problem for a couple of years not.  It started with Under Armour jackets and has been spreading to other brands and types of clothing.  I thought with the UA that maybe they were thinking the people who wore their stuff would have smaller arms because they were "athletic" people, but being athletic does not mean you have skinny arms.  Muscular arms are not necessarily skinny.  But now that it has spread to other types of clothing I'm not sure why.  I'm a small/medium depending on the brand, so it's also not just larger sized clothing.