Respected Contributor

@CinNC  That’s funny that you mention that. Just last month my sisters and I were watching old home movies of my mom, my aunts and my Godmother from the late 1960s and the 70’s and you are so right! We were cracking up at the shorty shorts and God bless them, their dimpled thighs, big muffin tops in their bathing suits and no one cared. The movies showed them all laughing and loving life.  While they may have complained about their bums being wide, they wore it proudly.

At 62, I still I run and work out mainly for my health and I have never been overweight. But I cannot say I’m not vain about how I look in clothes.  My mom was a fashionista no matter what her weight was but they really didn’t seem to obsess over it.

Respected Contributor

Yes. Upper arm coverage.

My arms are definitely not in the shape they once were! Not that I ever had Kelly Ripka arms or I remember Lisa’s arms before she left - did not have those either!!

I swore off wearing sleeveless or tanks out in public.

Well... that kinda isn’t working out too well it seems...

I own way too many sleeveless and tanks ... so, they are soooo getting worn ...

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

The difference might be that you have thin upper arms that have seen better days. I have thicker upper arms that have seen better days. So, cap sleeve is less attractive than going sleeveless.   I also am moving toward accepting my arms as they are and going sleeveless.  That will open up more fashion choices and honestly, no one cares what my arms look like.  When we were in FL in Feb, I did some people watching and I didn't see many tight firm model-like figures.  Women of all ages and body shapes weren't worried about their arms and thighs and no one cared or noticed.  

Respected Contributor

It's very liberating when you get to the point where you don't care about what others think and you just wear what you're comfortable in. I'm still working on getting to that point .

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@suzyQ3 

The difference might be that you have thin upper arms that have seen better days. I have thicker upper arms that have seen better days. So, cap sleeve is less attractive than going sleeveless.   I also am moving toward accepting my arms as they are and going sleeveless.  That will open up more fashion choices and honestly, no one cares what my arms look like.  When we were in FL in Feb, I did some people watching and I didn't see many tight firm model-like figures.  Women of all ages and body shapes weren't worried about their arms and thighs and no one cared or noticed.  

Go for it, @chrystaltree .

For the record, I bet that we both feel the same level of discomfort with our upper arms. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My arms are not perfect but I like them and I don't care what others think about the way they look. If it's a 100 degrees outside, you bet I'm going sleeveless. Cap sleeves don't cut it. What's the point? They are too short to be called a 'sleeve', really, and they are not a flattering style on me for sure. At best a cap sleeve covers part of the pit cleavage that some women find less appealing. Me? I don't care. Sleeveless is the only way to go for me when it's hot out.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

My top wardrobe is predominantly 2 sleeve lengths: None or long! I have only a small handful of short sleeves. On an imperfect arm a sleeve that hits in the middle of your upper arm can draw more attention to it than no sleeve at all!

I'm ultra picky about a short sleeve; it must not be tight, no elastic and I like it to angle down.

For the most part short sleeves just don't flatter me..

Trusted Contributor

I'm 53 and my arms are fine, but I get cold and I want coverage even in the summer. I am not going to buy anymore sleeveless clothes. i just get too cold.