Honored Contributor

An Untuckit Shirt is a blouse.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

@Annabellethecat66

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

Exactly! My husband's preference is button down shirts and most are straight hemmed.

I guess it's the shorter length that makes them innovative?

The way @Annabellethecat66 was describing them I was picturing crop tops for men! lol

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox, Yes, there have always been casual summer shirts and plaid flannels with squared hems for men. The UnTuckit founders actually did not invent anything, but rather tweaked something which needed a makeover. Their shirts are streamlined modern versions of the old style mens square bottoms.  They are cut trimmer and shorter.  The design along with a terrific marketing plan, and stores placed in prestigious locations, have proven to be a formula for success.  With prices near the $100 mark they are targeting style conscious men who have been preferring untucked shirts for some time now with all outfits other than the most conservative business suit.  UnTuckit also sells blazers so they offer versions of the classic dress shirt which their customers can wear into many workplaces in 2017.

I've been in the store and it's refreshing to see a trendy boutique for men. For Chicago posters it's on the second floor at 900 N. Michigan (Bloomingdale's building).  By the way ladies can buy their UnTuckits on the store's website.

Respected Contributor

UNTUCKit shirts have a contoured hemline (according to their website, "Outside of t-shirts, polos, and henleys, shirts should generally not have a square bottom") and are of a shorter length (to the middle of the zipper, with the pockets partially exposed).

"It ought to be easy: to look smart, casual, and feel comfortable with your shirt untucked. But dress shirts are simply not designed to be worn untucked and it shows. We did a ton of research to understand where people wanted the shirt to fall - the perfect length. And using this information, we defined the design for the untucked shirt."

Honored Contributor

From the original untuckit website.  Comparing the untuckit shirt from a regular shirt many men wear outside of pants, I guess....

Untuckit shirt: and regular as shown

Honored Contributor

My point was some men I've seen (usually those wearing T-Shirts) but some wearing button up shirts that aren't long enough, have their belly's sticking out.

Women who have a little pudge (Ok, some (myself) more than others), are expected...maybe understandable...are expected to cover them up.  While I often see males in the Summer with their stomach's (belly's) button and all showing.

Males have made fun of women for a long time about weight, etc.  I've noticed in recent years the tables turning (Yea)! and it's music to my ears.

Perhaps an answer to this would be (maybe) be the untuckit shirt.  However, my guess is those same males (as mentioned above) wouldn't invest the money.

I have a very dear friend whom I love like a brother (my age) who wears T-Shirts that don't cover his massive stomach.  I love to treat him to lunch and on more than one occasion he will wear one of these T-shirts (ugh)!

So I went out and bought him 4 button up shirts like my late husband used to wear.  Then I treated him, again, to lunch and low and behold he comes out in the same freaking T-Shirt.  I said, "Where's the shirts I bought you"?  He says, "They're too nice.  I'm saving them for something 'special'".  Ha!  Oh!  Well!

His wife is horrified by his choices.  I told her she might think of donating all but a few of them to charity.  She said, "I like being married to him too much".  Ha!  I said, "OK.  That's a valid point".  

I see this (belly exposed) everywhere...well that's an exaggeration, but I do see it often!

I was just sitting here trying to remember how my late husband wore his shirts and I was married to the man for 38 years when he died....and you know...I never noticed and don't remember...I guess some of each way..

Note to myself:  "Goodness..Annabelle..that's terrible!" I do know I never saw his belly exposed.  Probably because he was in great shape....

Here's my salute to the Untuckit shirt!

Contributor

Hi, I think the idea for the Untuck It shirts came from young men who want to wear their shirts untucked, but find that is not suitable in a workplace or business environment, especially when they have the whole tail of a dress shirt hanging out under a suit jacket or sports coat. 

Many employers still have dress codes that are holdovers from the past when men wore traditional suits, ties, dress shirts, dress slacks and sports coats for work.  The younger generations (Gen X'ers, Millenials) are coming into the work world out of the sloppy grungy environment that the high school and college cultures have become, in which both males and females wear the worst looking things, like wearing pajamas or the worst athleisurewear to class and to travel.  They don't want to give up the comfort of that to conform to the heretofore recognized norms of adult life.  This is especially true of workers in the tech industry.

The Untuck It shirt is an effort to bridge the gap between the two worlds.  The young man can  wear slacks and a jacket with a untucked shirt and still be hip and cool, without the sloppy look of a dress shirt hanging out below his jacket. 

Thankfully, most men have not yet adopted the layering madness that has taken the designers of female frocks by storm.  I guess I am just old school .... for the most part, I do not like all this crazy layering with odd hems and colors and flounces and accentuating what is for most people their biggest problem areas .... big tummy, big derriere, big hips, big thighs.  The art of flattering fashion design is to redirect the eye from problem areas to one's greatest assets, most importantly one's uniquely beautiful or handsome face. 

I agree that it is so gross for men to have their bellies hanging out between their shirt and pants.  I have figure problems in this area myself .... picture an apple on toothpicks .... but I cover it up appropriately.  There is no excuse for being gross.  In my younger days, I worked with a woman who referred to a man's big belly as his tool shed.  That still cracks me up.

I haven't seen an Untuck It shirt in person, but the ads on TV make them look great.  I wish my husband would try one.  He's not there yet.  But he won't wear a tuxedo either, even though he would be so handsome.  Think Roger Moore as James Bond.   I guess he got burned by the pastel tuxes with ruffled shirts back in the day.  He'd rather be in a river fly fishing.  But I may get him in a tux yet one of these days ... if I outlive him.  The problem is that he has his mother's healthy constitution .... and she's already 97.  I don't think I'll make it that long ....

I hope the Untuck It guys make beaucoups of moolah. 

I vote for the Untuck It shirt too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Men wearing shirts untucked has been around for several years.  I like when my husband sports this style--I think it's sexy.  

Untuckit_April_175_1200x.jpg

@magicmoodz--------If your husband looks like this, NO SHIRT REQUIRED

@Danky

Haha! He is a hottie, isn't he?  That's not my husband, but I think he is a hottie too! He has been wearing shirts like this for several years.  I think he sometimes shops what is comparable to what we call juniors--maybe "contemporary men's department".   

Esteemed Contributor

jonbon wrote:

UNTUCKit shirts have a contoured hemline (according to their website, "Outside of t-shirts, polos, and henleys, shirts should generally not have a square bottom") and are of a shorter length (to the middle of the zipper, with the pockets partially exposed).

"It ought to be easy: to look smart, casual, and feel comfortable with your shirt untucked. But dress shirts are simply not designed to be worn untucked and it shows. We did a ton of research to understand where people wanted the shirt to fall - the perfect length. And using this information, we defined the design for the untucked shirt."

@jonbon,The website description describes exactly what I saw with my own eyes in the store.  I'm thinking of getting one of their plaid flannels for myself. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, there is an actual brand.

But, when you look up mens untucked shirts, there seems to be some fashion rules to go along with it - the difference between just a sloppy look vs a fashion untucked look. There is a perfect length and anything else is either too short or too long.  Quite funny really, that men would put so much thought into a shirt being the right length and cut to achieve that look.

And, I guess for some - it does not matter - they are going to wear it out no matter what any fashion dos and don'ts are anyhow. 

-Texas Hill Country-