Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS nightmare

[ Edited ]

Many,many yrs ago (70 plus years ago) my dad worked for UPS and he was sooo proud of his job.He worked his way up from driver to cashierStayed there all his life and did well..I have so many wonderful memories of my dad and UPS as a kid. His lunchbox.His hat.His uniform and his dedication to the job.He has received 2 Gold Watches,  for his work there, one was for yrs of safe driving.

I also am great friends with my UPS delivery man. I know him since day one 30 yrs ago,when he was a new kid on the block and very young. He is now  married  with adult kids .He also loves his job!!  UPS always takes care of their own!!!.I asked him today if he had AC in his cab  even though I already knew he didn't. He told me no they do not  and that when he opens the package part of his truck 200 degree temps hit him in face everytime.He said it is hotter than a Pizza oven in the back of that truck. But he is always pleasant and  smiling  <3    Smiley Happy

Noone I know has a complaint about UPS Company. I am sorry your son is working in these conditions.Maybe someone needs to report it to headquaters!

edited to add...........

I would like to add that delivering pakges door to door isn't conductive to air conditioning as the driver has to jump in and out constantly almost door to door.The garage where the trucks are parked are wide open facilities where things are loaded an unloaded all day and night ,also making air contitioning very unreliable.

Respected Contributor

My husband retired from UPS as a driver about 10 years ago. For the most part he loved his job.  

I'm sorry to hear about your son's experience. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this information. Keeping frozen Gator Aid in the freezer for my UPS guys here in Las Vegas. I feel so bad for them! 

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

Don't forget also utility workers, pole climbers, farm workers, roofers, garbage collectors, people who fish for a living, road workers, farmers, and many others who work outside, and many are day labor without real benefits as well.  Don't forget how much many people go through to give us the comfort we have at home and the fortunate of us in office jobs.

Many factories didn't have ac when I was growing up.  People would just get worn slick.

Valued Contributor

I work in the Receiving Dept of a large manufacturing company, and have had our regular UPS driver tell us how bad UPS treats employees. He has shared some of his experiences over the years and it is really disgusting. I fear this mistreatment of employees is becoming a national trend in the United States.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

OP, obviously your son doesn't mind the conditions since he's been there 5 years and sounds like he's there for the long haul. I can't understand why he continues to work there.

Maybe because he needs a job?  Smiley Frustrated

And whatever the reason, it doesn't lessen his mother's concerns about him any more.  Just sayin'.

Thanks Venezia!!, seems like I'm under attack..I know there are many other companies that also have deplorable conditions..but my son DID have a heat stroke..guess that doesn't mean much to some of you! His boss just got out of the hospital after having one as well....I wasn't asking for sympathy, just stated some facts about UPS. Thats great that SOME of the UPS facilities are great, the one where my son isn't. SO sorry I posted!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Oh that is scary for your son @emmysmom. UPS is a good company. Pay & benefits are excellent for that industry and I have heard that drivers really want to work for UPS, but it's very competitive. 

Hydration is key. Companies are responsible for providing a safe wirk environment,  but employees can't be 'forced' to take breaks, and stay hydrated.

It's a good reminder to take care of ourselves & others during extreme temps.

If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Heat stroke hits quickly. Those working in extreme heat or athletes should consume more than just water. Need Gatorade or similar to replace electrolytes. 

I always offer our UPS driver water during these hot days. And yes, he works hard & I do think the hot days are hard on him. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

Oh that is scary for your son @emmysmom. UPS is a good company. Pay & benefits are excellent for that industry and I have heard that drivers really want to work for UPS, but it's very competitive. 

Hydration is key. Companies are responsible for providing a safe wirk environment,  but employees can't be 'forced' to take breaks, and stay hydrated.

It's a good reminder to take care of ourselves & others during extreme temps.

If you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Heat stroke hits quickly. Those working in extreme heat or athletes should consume more than just water. Need Gatorade or similar to replace electrolytes. 

I always offer our UPS driver water during these hot days. And yes, he works hard & I do think the hot days are hard on him. 

Chi, my son brought this link to my attention. They mention his hub several times. He does hydrate, but it was over 100 degrees...he passed out!

http://pupsinc.homestead.com/big_brown_lie_ups_fact_sheet.htm

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

emmysmom ,  sorry you feel that you were disrespected in this post.   You are a very caring person.   Don't stop posting and please continue to be yourself.  You are an great asset to these boards and a loving person.  Life hasn't always been easy but you are a survivor that has remained positive and caring.   One of the best.   How's the pupster doing?   Must be full grown by now.  Would love to see a pic?   

I don't post very often or check out the boards much.   Facebook is something I tend to be more active on.  Do you ever do Facebook?

Honored Contributor

@emmysmom - Don't let all the comments get to you.  Discussions are bound to go off in all kinds of directions, given the diversity of people on the boards.  And, yes, we know there are all kinds of hard jobs out there and I know that wasn't the point you were trying to make.

You have every right to post your son's experience and your own feelings.  Sending (((good thoughts))) in your direction!  Heart